Possibly silly question re. 1080p Amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lasereraser, Feb 7, 2009.

1. lasereraser

lasereraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +918
    If an amp is capable of outputting upto 1080p does it follow that it also supports 24fps playback, or is that a separate issue?

My amp deffo copes with 1080p but there is no mention of 24fps support.

Advice please guys:)

2. lasereraser

lasereraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +918
    24 views and no comments?

Guess it is too stoopid a question! :(

3. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +486
    No it doesnt mean it will automatically cope with 24fps.
    If it can the the manual will say so.

Some amps have a through bypass which will allow the signal to pass through untouched but often you will need a player that can force 24fps to take advantage. Normally the player and display / amp need to handshake to acknowqlege that 24fps can be output and received, so unless you amp is specifically set up to acknowledge this with the player it will 'ask' the player for 1080p only , unless the player can be set up to force 24fps whether the handshake is acknowledged or not.

I believe the Sony BD players can force 24fps where the panasonic range cannot.

I think this is correct and i have tried write it in a way that you can make sense. If not i am sure someone will correct me but my own experience would be as above.

For example my own player can not force 24fps.

Player=> TV + Player =>AMP via analogues for sound only

So if i set the player up and get it playing a movie then pull the HDMI lead out of tv (which will have acknowleded it can take 24fps) and route it through my amp then back to the TV it will continue to display 24fps. However if i have
    player=>amp=>tv set up from the off then the amp doesnt acknowledge the 24fps so the player doesnt send it even though the bypass route would allow it to go through.
    If you can follow the above your doing well :D

Cheers

4. lasereraser

lasereraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +918
    Thanks for the reply, and I understand what you're saying :)

I will go down that route to set player at 24fps, then re-connect through amp.

Am I correct in saying the player will then playback 24fps regardless?

5. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    Some players do, some don't. Your Panasonic BD35 Blu-ray player will only output 24fps if it can detect a compatible tv on the end of the HDMI cable. If it can't, the menu option to switch on 24fps is greyed out.

6. lasereraser

lasereraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +918

And it is:(

7. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +486
    I think you have already established this but here goes, you could connect the player direct to the TV and (assuming your Tv is 24 compliant) the player will allow you to select 24fps to be switched on. Then when you disconnect the player from the TV and plug it back into the amp even though the player is switched to 24 ON it wont send the 24 fps signal as the amp has not acknowleged it can handle it.

The only way around it is to send the HDMI straight to the Tv for video and then to run the sound via an optical back from your TV (if it has one) to the AMP. This though will not give you HD sound just DD or DTS. The alternative to this is to use analogue outputs on the Bluray player into the amp for HD sound and the HDMI into the Tv for video.
    Though i dont think the Panny 35 has analogue outputs on the back (the 50 and 55 do).

Being abl to force a 24fps ouput with or without the 'handshake' achknowlegemnt would have been a very handy option for many people. Like i mentioned earlier i understand some Sony BD players do offer this though not sure of other manufacturers.
    :thumbsup:

8. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +486
    Jusdt noticved you have a PS3, it might be worth giving this a go for Bluray playback as it might be able to force the 24fps through your amp and then you can still have Hd sound ?

Just a thought.