possibly faulty player..........

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by plasmahal, Sep 17, 2007.

1. plasmahal

plasmahal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Before I start, I know some people will say it's my fault for being a cheapskate but i'm looking for some advice for my problem.

I bought a sumvision phoenix upscaling player and hdmi lead from a reputable online retailer. Yes it was cheap.

I have tried all the settings possible and different setting on my samsung 40" lcd panel and i can't get even close to a decent picture.

The picture quality is worse than a worn VHS tape at the moment and unless i've missed something, i think i have tried all the settings.

All i can conclude is that either the unit is so poor that it's not fit for purpose or the unit or cable is faulty.

would appreciate any input/advice on this matter especially from anyone else who has the same player.

2. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    It's a cheap player you've got. I wouldn't expect a half decent performance on a large screen panel from the player that cost £35.

3. plasmahal

plasmahal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    But i would expect a better picture than a standard dvd player...................................................................... even for £35.

4. Haggler

Haggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    At last a sumvision phoenix owner :-

Haha i feel sorry for whoever/wherever sold you that, you're obviously not very impressed, you didn't mention what you were playing on it tho i assume a dvd.

If so have you tried a divx from the dvd drive and via usb, is the picture better or worse? this could at least narrow the problem down.

There's a few on here that would love to know if it has a usb 2.0 port as stated or a usb 1.1 that is 2.0 compatable, sorry it's off topic but can you answer this for us? please......

5. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93

Would you? Many people find their expenisve old players aren't up to the job when they upgrade to a large flat panel screen.

6. plasmahal

plasmahal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right,

Sorted now, I spent a while last night and got it setup properly.

I don't have any divx films, so i can't say what they are like. The first dvd i tried the other night was terminator 2 special edition.

I played around with it last night and tried serenity, MIB2, SW:revenge of the sith and the T2 again.

The issue was with a combination of one of the video modes and the video sharpness settings on the player.

I have tweaked the settings on both the player and the tv and found the sweet spot.

At 1080i, it's looking pretty fine and dandy and much better that the component output from my 360.

If people want to know what the divx is like i need to know where to get the films from to try it out.

7. chris57

chris57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    There's a few files to try posted here:-
    http://divxtest.isstar.net/
    Click the download button and it downloads the divx test cd. Then try the various different formats noting which ones play and which ones dont. You can then feed you results back here:-
    http://divxtest.surdvd.com/What-is-DivxTest-Where-can-I-find.html

That will test the players ability via DVD-RW.

What we are interested to know is whether the port is a true USB2.0 port or the same as all other budget players a USB2.0 compliant port (actually USB1.1). The Phillips 5960 suffers and stutters with divx files that are encoded >2mb/s via USB but plays them fine via DVD. In other words its the port causing the problem not the dvd processor or the USB pendrive (~11mb/s etc). A true USB2.0 port allows 480mb/s transfer so should sort out the problem.

Anyway have you got a pendrive?

8. plasmahal

plasmahal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a 4Gb usb drive i can test with.

This divx test file, can it be downloaded straight onto the pendrive or does need converting or something first ?

9. chris57

chris57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Its a test CD.

Burn it onto a CD then check off the ones that play ok when you put it in your player. The folks at divxtest only have results for CD playback not via USB.

Then put the files on your USB, you could explore the CD when you put it in your PC and then copy to your pendrive. Run them again to see if any that played fine via DVD stutter when you try to play them via USB.

10. Haggler

Haggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Excellent can't wait to see your results, here's hoping this could be an awesome usb port and player for very little money! thx in advance, tho i'll still love both my philips.

11. plasmahal

plasmahal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well i managed to burn that test image to a cd and put it on my usb stick.

It ran all the tests fine apart from the bitrate tests at highest as they became a bit dis-jointed.

As for the usb, it played exactly the same as the cd did with no lag, pauses or stuttering.

If this is an indication of whether it's a usb 2 slot i don't know but it worked fine.

So now i'm happy with my cheap player and maybe i should look into getting some divx films.

Can anyone recommend some good divx sites ?

12. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ok i admit it i bought one yesterday as a bedroom player to be used via scart
    i wanted the mutlicard reader functions.

the player itself is no great looker like the pioneer dv400 which i think looks the part but thats a matter of opinion, i was considering the pioneer first and was going to use it as the main player and move the sammy 850 upstairs but my hitachi plasma really likes 768x1024 and to spend £100 and find out the pioneer did not do it would be a costly experiment.

i though i would give the phoenix a chance first, i could not resist connecting it to the plasma first by hdmi. sat in the rack fashion i have my other stuff it did not look the part, it looked out of place like a small 80s laser disc and the operation buttons on the top face means they could be unusable

i turned the player on and used the v button on the remote to get it to work
    via hdmi. once the picture is visible and set to HD you can cycle through the available resolutions one of which was 768x1024 cool i could race it against my sammy 850.

first impressions was playing cars and revenge of the sith openig sequences that the dvd menu screens have a slight flicker were the sammy does not. but on a moving picture the colours were crisp and vibrant sharpness settings do go beyond the boundaries of a viewable picture as reported by plasmahal but still seems value for money at £35.

the remote itself is flimsy and lucky bag feeling but is easy to understand and use. although it might take more than one press. but i just transferred the functions to a kamelion remote anyway.

i bought this player not as an upscaler but for its media capabilities mainly the card reader as i have a few sd cards that never quite worked with my tomtom. i hooked it up upstairs via scart and this is where it has its most serious flaw there is no off switch as the player is daisy chained through a freeview box even in standby it will not let the freeview box take over to the tv the player needs to be unplugged, the unit might be faulty but if not its a design error , this is not an issue with people hooking up via hdmi though.

i loaded the divx test to cd and sd card and both seemed to fail at the same points a few of the audio checks and the warp points what ever they are i did seem to get a lip sync fault notably on the shrek trailers on both media.
    i don't have a pen drive or ext HD to try sorry.

the very bad things about this player are the flimsy remote and not being able to daisy chain via scart oh it did have a prob with some cheap dvd-r
    but the sammy did that as well.

it did give the sammy a run for its money slightly behind in PQ especially the menu flicker.
    but it did leave my liteon dvd recorder behind in PQ.

13. chris57

chris57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Thanks for the detailed feedback.

Ideally we need the transfer rate of the USB socket testing. Using gspot you can find out the mb/s of the file your watching. Anyway if someone could check the file rates of any divx files they play and in particular find out if it plays packed bitstream and files >2mb/s.

Here's gspot:-
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/GSpot.htm

14. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    is this prog run from a usb pen or could there be a way of using a pc, the usb
    would be AtoA for that would it work or a cross over cable needed.

in the OSD of the phenonix it has bitrate info but it would not reach 480mb reading a dvd

15. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ok i bought a cheap usb2 pen drive and borrowed a cross over cable just in case

16. Haggler

Haggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Looking forward to your results, maybe i should stop being such a tightarse and buy one myself, if i didn't still have my last 4 players i would.

17. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    on the test cd from your link it has packed bitstream i think its video test 15

if this is the one yes it played.

if not how do i hook up gspot to the player

18. brad-spit1

brad-spit1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys new to the forum. hope this is the right place to post this! i apologise if it isnt but u r talking about the sumvision phoenix upscaling dvd player(which ive just bought) my problem is this : i have a sumvision k-pac mp4 player(which is great) i have a 2gb mini sd card with 8 or nine movies on which i was hoping would work on the player but when i put it in the phoenix card slot nothing happens? the manual with the player is very basic and doesnt even mention the card reader or the usb port. ive been through all the menus an settings on the player and cant see anything relating to the card reader. am i really dumb and missing something obvious? should the player detect the card when you insert it? or do you have to input something with the remote? the only thing i can think of is maybe cos its a mini sd card i need a converter to plug the mini sd into to make it regular sd size? any help would be much appreciated as apart from this prob the player is fine and im well happy with it so far. one more thing....can i connect my pc to the player through the usb port and play my movie files straight off my pc? just got top gun in hd an was wondering if i stream it through the player it would play back in hi def? that would be wicked! lol thanks for any help you can give guys cheers! brad....:smashin:

19. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    there is a button on the remote that says GOTO.

as for pc conection i tried it it says usb not supported on the dvd, but my file system is ntfs
    and not fat. i would like to try an external hd,but i dont realy need one so that would be a costly experiment.

20. brad-spit1

brad-spit1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply m8. it was as you said just press goto and got the options for sd slot, usb etc. i plugged my k-pac mp4 player in using usb slot and it played back the movies no prob. the picture was crap but thats cos the resolution is reduced to fit on the mp4 player. so in theory(i think lol) if i plug in my pc through usb port i can navigate through my hard drive to my movie folder and play them back, cos essentially thats what it done with the k-pac it just seen it as an external drive so should do the same with pc hard drive(i hope!) will let you know if it works or not and thanks again for the help cheers!.....brad:clap: