possibly dumb question about KDS55A2000

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by gerv, May 8, 2007.

1. gerv

gerv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty new to this lark so bear with me :)

What is the screen of this tv comprised of? Im asking because a neighbour of mine has an older rear projection tv and the actual screen feels almost like a flexible plastic sheet (almost like a projector screen surface).

Does this tv have a glass panel on the front or some sort of lcd like material? :lease:

2. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    It's a dark, almost black, plastic type sheet, very stiff but can be flexed.. No glass in front, which would give bad reflections anyway.

3. gerv

gerv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, hows the 360 on it and any hd-dvd's you may have? Thats gonna be its primrary use if i get one, ps3 360 and hd movies,. :)

4. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    XB360 & SkyHD (both at 1080i) are excellent on it, but don't take my word for it. Read the other threads on this forum, plenty of discussion about the KDS55A2000.

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,067
    There is a potential problem with the Xbox 360 and this TV, in that the TV is unable to accept a 1080p signal via component (only 1080i) and, while it will display something if you feed it 1080p via VGA, it doesn't display it correctly - the image is downscaled, with huge black borders.

The TV does a very good job of displaying 1080p if you feed it via via HDMI - but the Xbox 360 doesn't have an HDMI or DVI output.

6. jedi-knight

jedi-knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    um, this tv displays xbox360 via component at 720p very well, still not impressed with sd on it though (sky & dvd).

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,067
    Indeed. Or 1080i. It's 1080p that causes problems.

Even with the best processing in the world there are limits to how good SD can look on a 55" screen. (I must admit, with poor-quality transmissions I sometimes resort to watching in PAP mode just to shrink the picture down a bit! :suicide: )

8. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +942
    Who would have thought it. :rolleyes:

Have you been able to get it pixel-matched at SD resolution, and avoided scaling altogether?

Nick

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,067
    My reputation precedes me. :rotfl:

Thus far I haven't actually tried to. Eventually I will get around to buying a new PC; at that point I'll invest in a Sweetspot card and dcsaler, and then we'll see.

(I've been waiting since last November for ATI to release the bloody R600. :mad: Sadly I really have got to have hardware VC-1 decoding and HDMI audio output to do some of the stuff I want to do, so there's no alternative. :( )

The scaling and image processing in the Sony TV isn't bad, and I find a really good quality SD feed (a good DVD transfer, say) is actually just about bearable at full-screen, if you turn up DRC, detail enhancement, etc. to appropriate levels. It doesn't look good, by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not eyeball-meltingly unbearable. The average film on the Sky Movies channels does have a tendency to melt my eyeballs, so I try and restrict my viewing to HD material where possible :) but, when SD can't be avoided, I do sometimes resort to PAP mode. I'm sure accurate 1:1 pixel-mapping would look better (and you lose a lot of the nice image-processing in PAP) but for something where it doesn't actually matter too much what it looks like (BBC News 24, say) it's adequate for the moment.

10. amadeus

amadeus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    NicolasB

Just out of interest, what player are you using for your SD DVDs? I have been using the Toshiba HD-XE1 to upscale and the results, in my opinion, are just amazing. It's obviously not as good as HD DVD but it's more than just "very watchable". If it was not for HD DVDs being even better, I would say the picture was very good indeed. Watching for the first time on a 55 inch screen, it was really surprising to discover the depth of detail available from a regular SD DVD.

Amadeus

11. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +942
    Speaking for myself (but not for my namesake) I'm very happy with good DVDs played with a good PC, player, scaler or suitable display (very few and far between) when scaled up to 1080p. I haven't seen an XE1, but expect it would fall into that category.

W Nick