Possibly a simple question (but hey, I'm learning!)

rwilliamsparis

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've just invested in a pair of Triangle Borea br02 (up to 80w) speakers, which I'm really enjoying.

I play music in a relatively small Parisian apartment (15-17 square metres or so).

I've been using a an old Yamaha CRX-M170 as an amp (25 w per channel at 6 Ohms). It sounds pretty good, very good in fact, but the plan was always to upgrade. The sound is 'meaty', and has a bit of power behind it, but as clear as it is full.

I've just been made aware of a NAD 3020 V2 (30w + 30w at 8 ohms) at a very good (bargain!) price .

I don't really understand the watt/Ohm relationship. Is the NAD likely to give me a good bit of power like I've known with my CRX-M170 (frankly, I like being able to drown out the downstairs neighbours loud TV as well as sounding great)? Is it likely to be equal or better on those terms to my old trusty Yamaha?

Or maybe I should wait for a Yamaha WXA-50 (55 W + 55 W at 8 ohms)?

I have to admit, I'm really tempted to hold out for a Rega Brio (but it's a big bit of kit, isn't it?!)

All thoughts very warmly recieved!

Bonne soirée

Last edited:
I have to admit, I'm really tempted to hold out for a Rega Brio (but it's a big bit of kit, isn't it?!)
It has quite a small footprint and is the second smallest Rega amp. Excellent bit of kit. I use Rega myself.

Dimensions (W x H x D)
216 x 78 x 345 mm

The Rega everytime.

And it is certainly not big.

Also, don’t discount the Rega IO.

I’d take that over any of the others you’ve mentioned except the Brio.

Ps, also ignore the wattage ratings on speakers and amps, they mean next to nothing in reality.

Both Regas are more than capable of driving plenty of current (a much more useful indicator of amp quality) than the Boreas will require.

Yes. Agree with Paul - forgot to mention the baby Rega - IO. It’s well regarded by many.

Ps, also ignore the wattage ratings on speakers and amps, they mean next to nothing in reality.

Both Regas are more than capable of driving plenty of current (a much more useful indicator of amp quality) than the Boreas will require.
This advice was crucial for me.

Rega IO and Triangle Borea br02 seems a winning combination (I have inputs from an old Sonos Connect and a Bluetooth adapter too).

This advice was crucial for me.

Rega IO and Triangle Borea br02 seems a winning combination (I have inputs from an old Sonos Connect and a Bluetooth adapter too).

Hi @rwilliamsparis , have you detected any excessive brightness on your Triangles? From what I've read, they can sound quite a bit bright, esp. the bigger bro's (BR03s)? And just in general, how would you describe the sound you're getting out of that combo?

Also, do you hear any hum coming from the IO?

Thanks, and congrats on your setup!

Hi @rwilliamsparis , have you detected any excessive brightness on your Triangles? From what I've read, they can sound quite a bit bright, esp. the bigger bro's (BR03s)? And just in general, how would you describe the sound you're getting out of that combo?

Also, do you hear any hum coming from the IO?

Thanks, and congrats on your setup!

Hello. No, no brightness to any extent that troubles me since anything is backed up by depth towards the bass. The sound seems excellent, at least after living with it for 24 hours. I can understand why people speak of the 'warmth' of Regas and the Triangles feel like a good match.

No humming yet!

Cheers,

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom