Possible with a CRT....?

Parmenion

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I know you can play X Box and PS 2 games on a CRT (in moderation !) but can you use a light gun for shooting games or is the technology incompatible?

Anyone successfully shooting at their screen?

regards

Parmenion

Well, we managed to get Vampire Nights on the PS2 to work with a Barco 800 Data, though I can't remember whether it was before or after I added a scaler to my setup?

I'll have another go and see if it still works :)

bartp said:
it won't work with scalers

I agree.

I would think that chances of success are best with a 480i or 576i setup. You need good clear scan lines on the screen. And no aspect streching either.

Out of curiosity, which console?

And I take it you mean the yellow composite lead?

regards

Parmenion

Please someone come up with the conclusive answer please please please! I've wanted to know this for a while and have had different answers each time :mad:

The way the software works is that it is looking to see a 'one' signal from the 'gun' and compares it with the memory map that is being sent to the screen. As the pixels are being addressed it compares the flash from the guns camera against time. It's a lottery as to whether the electonics can cope with your setup. Hope this helps to clarify the situation...K (Struggling to explain this in laymans K)

Parmenion said:
I know you can play X Box and PS 2 games on a CRT (in moderation !) but can you use a light gun for shooting games or is the technology incompatible?
Yes, provided it's not scaled, the output is at 50 or 60Hz, and the light gun accepts it.

PK

Parmenion said:
Out of curiosity, which console?

And I take it you mean the yellow composite lead?

regards

Parmenion

I honestly don't remember the console - it was about three years ago and a friend's console just tried the once to see if it worked (it did). NOT X-box or Gamecube, maybe PS/2? And yes, it was using plain vanilla composite.

------------------------------------------------
BTW, the IBM 360/65 was the last REAL computer! And full documentation down to component level, none of those nasty integrated circuits. A mainframe you could keep running today with just the odd visit to Maplin or RS. I know - I got me one! OK, I admit, Gene Amdahl was a key designer of the 360 architecture, but by the time he got around to making his own boxes the mainframes had lost their souls.

Oh, someone who knows what a 5995M is (was)... I didn't think the 470V8 had no soul, and we did have documentation down to gate level even though most of it was on chips (air cooled as you probably know). I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Gene a number of times in Sunnyvale (he was known for driving around in his beloved Rolls Royce) and once when he came over to open a new HQ in the UK (nowadays a very charming white haired old gentleman). Sadly now we've been "incorporated" into Fujitsu (the old ICL in UK) so I have to say it has all completely lost its soul... and now I work on unix servers (and the odd antique).. They were very good times :rolleyes: BTW the 5995M 12670 was the biggest 370 architecture mainframe ever made (and it was water-cooled being ECL technology) - about 20ft square, 8ft high and 114 doors.... we deinstalled the last one in UK from British Gas in Mitcham about 5 years ago..... :suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom