Possible VSM 2048 Scaler Fault

Barry.NI

In the past twelve months I have noticed on My Panny Series 4 42" Plasma, that vertical lines, such as tall building door frames etc., tend to bend over like walking stick handles, in the top 100mm of the screen. This is apparent from an old Sky+ box, also from a Pace freeview. The input to the scaler is RGBS from the SKY box, and it outputs to the plasma RGBHV, through a two way unit, the other feed going to a Barco CRT 7. This appears to be OK, and feeds from the DVD 32R are also O.K. on both the plasma and the CRT. I also get the error message 'No TAG link detected', using MD on the AV192R on the SKY and EXT DAB on the Pace inputs. The problem is intermittent, and is sometimes worse than others. I am HOPING that it is a fault with the Plasma, as that is to be replaced in 2007.

Anyone got any ideas

GrahamMG

In the past twelve months I have noticed on My Panny Series 4 42" Plasma, that vertical lines, such as tall building door frames etc., tend to bend over like walking stick handles, in the top 100mm of the screen. This is apparent from an old Sky+ box, also from a Pace freeview. The input to the scaler is RGBS from the SKY box, and it outputs to the plasma RGBHV, through a two way unit, the other feed going to a Barco CRT 7. This appears to be OK, and feeds from the DVD 32R are also O.K. on both the plasma and the CRT. I also get the error message 'No TAG link detected', using MD on the AV192R on the SKY and EXT DAB on the Pace inputs. The problem is intermittent, and is sometimes worse than others. I am HOPING that it is a fault with the Plasma, as that is to be replaced in 2007.

Anyone got any ideas
Convergence on a plasma has to be perfect really. DC offset might account for this I suppose. Or the lack of resolution on the plasma @ 480 lines.......
As for "no TAG link detected" do you mean "no sync link detected"?? If so you have the TAG sync link enabled for these inputs and it shouldn't be, the only input that would have it turned on for is the DVD32R assuming you connect up the sync link conections. Have I misunderstood you?

Stevesky

Novice Member
What output resolution and framelock mode are you using to your Plasma?

Sounds like the front porch of the video signal is a tad too short for your Plasma to lock on to.

Steve

GrahamMG

Sounds like the front porch of the video signal is a tad too short for your Plasma to lock on to.

Steve
The RGBHV input module on the Panny would expect a PC signal timing @60hz 848x480??
This does beg the question of the benefits of a VSM could do for that screen?

Can the sky box be plugged directly into the screen and the video input board configured for RGBS? Do the lines look straight then?

Barry.NI

Steve
The output resolution is analogue 768 lines and Framelock-Panel, looking at the grid test pattern, there is definite bowing on the top of the V lines, changing to CRT gives a perfectly straight grid. The problem that I have at present, is that I am trying to optomize my Barco 7LT with my Plasma, as they are both fed with the same RGBHV signal, through a two way unit, there being no DVI connection on the plasma. The Barco CRT must take preference. I have not checked the Barco CRT geometry, but may have to toggle between Panel and CRT depending on which one I am looking at. The problem should be solved with a new Panel with DVI-D /HDMI inputs. I can then feed DVI-D output from the scaler, or even unprocessed DVI-D out, if I go for the Fujitsu 58, letting the panel do the processing, which it seems to do it rather well, and scaled RGBHV to the Barco. The point is that I do not watch the Barco projector very much, only when I have a DVD, the majority of the time is spent using the Plasma for TV. but as the Barco is very dificult to set up, I really have to leave its settings as they were when it was installed.

The No Tag Sync Link message is only on the SKY+ and Freeview as one would expect but is O.K on the DVD. It is switched 'ON'. Just clutching at straws really! Thanks Graham.

Many thanks to those who took the trouble to replay.

GrahamMG

The output resolution is analogue 768 lines and Framelock-Panel, looking at the grid test pattern, there is definite bowing on the top of the V lines, changing to CRT gives a perfectly straight grid. The problem that I have at present, is that I am trying to optomize my Barco 7LT with my Plasma, as they are both fed with the same RGBHV signal, through a two way unit, there being no DVI connection on the plasma. The Barco CRT must take preference. I have not checked the Barco CRT geometry, but may have to toggle between Panel and CRT depending on which one I am looking at. The problem should be solved with a new Panel with DVI-D /HDMI inputs. I can then feed DVI-D output from the scaler, or even unprocessed DVI-D out, if I go for the Fujitsu 58, letting the panel do the processing, which it seems to do it rather well, and scaled RGBHV to the Barco. The point is that I do not watch the Barco projector very much, only when I have a DVD, the majority of the time is spent using the Plasma for TV. but as the Barco is very dificult to set up, I really have to leave its settings as they were when it was installed.

The No Tag Sync Link message is only on the SKY+ and Freeview as one would expect but is O.K on the DVD. It is switched 'ON'. Just clutching at straws really! Thanks Graham.

Many thanks to those who took the trouble to replay.
I have to ask if setting the output to CRT gives straight lines why not use that??

The gains are quite small betweeen using the DVD32R straight into a 58 series Fujitsu or going via the VSM, in fact for DVD I don't bother. Freeview on the other hand needs all the help it can get as always, SKY+ straight into the plasma is also very watchable. Up to you if the extra cables adn set up are worth the effort, seeing as you have a VSM you might as well use it.....

Regarding "no TAG sync link" message, if I read you right this is displayed on the VFD on the AV192R when watching Freeview or Sky but NOT DVD32R?

That is exactly how you would expect it to work, the DVD32R is the only bit of kit that will work with TAG sync link assumign you have it connected! (oh and my HTPC at one stage but we won't go there). Simply turn off the "TAG sync link" option for those inputs that the SKY and freeview are connected to. In fact turn it off for every audio input except the DVD32R, the message will then only appear if your DVD32R is on the blink............

GrahamMG

I've just noticed you have the output set to 768, is this being fed to the plasma? Did the series 4 have this native res on the 42", my memory don't go back that far these days:D

Barry.NI

Graham

Obviously I will off course use the CRT setting, as that eliminates the problem. I now appreciate the TAG Sync Link is only operative on DVD. The output of the scaler is set for the CRT Projector, which is mainly used for DVDs, and rarely for TV. No! The 4 series did not have a native resolution of 768, 750p is the closest, but as 768 is the best res for the Barco CRT. the scaler is set to that and seems to give a good picture for SKY on the Panny 4 panel. My problem is trying to operate two displays from a single scaler, without having to re programme each time one or the other is used. Now that I have had the system running for several years, I find that I watch TV on the plasma 90% of the time, so might be better to programme the output of the scaler to the Panel, as a default, and revert to the original Barco scaler settings when using the projector. As the concensus seems to be that the Fujitsu panel has the better built in processing, feeding it with raw data might have been preferable to re programming the VSM2048 when switching from DVDs on the Barco, to watching TV on the panel. However, as far as ease of installation, the 50" Panasonic fits the existing wall bracket, as well as having a better choice of optional inputs. I cannot see that it is merely a question of wiring, the scaler can only be set for one display at a time, it would have been ideal if different outputs, say DVD-D could have had different settings to e.g. RGBHV!

GrahamMG

Can I ask how you control your setup? If you use a programmable remote (Pronto etc.) there are descrete codes for changing the output res on the VSM on the fly.......
If the Panny had a native res of say 848 x 480 that is what the VSM should be set to for that device. If 768 is the best for the PJ you would simply swap the outputs as detailed above. Of course a 50" Fuji has a native res of 1366 x 768 so your "problem" goes away if you buy one :) Wall brackets have a habit of being part of the "deal";) ;) ;) There is quite a difference in performance between the latest Panny's and the Fujis...... As I always say it is your money!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom