Possible upgrade from qa 3020i...I've got upgraditis!

essgee

Established Member
Reaction score
Just when I thought enough is enough, I've been sucked back in to the rabbit hole of speaker upgrades! 😭 I would say the usage split is 60% movies, 20% PS5 20% music.

I am considering upgrading my front LCR. They are currently qa 3020i with a 3090 centre.

I appreciate I would need to listen to some in a demo setting maybe... But realistically this upgrade would set me back 1,500-2000 if I'm being honest with myself.

I have a 2 year old and you'll see from the photo the speaker stands are quite well protected and he's never been near them (thankfully). Floorstanders are a dream but I couldn't stand them far enough away from the wall. The non negotiables from my current setup are as follows.

BK P12-300SB-PR sub.
Kef T101 surrounds.
Denon AVR-X1600H

So looking at bookshelves... My main issue is the cost of the stands. I'm also quite lucky the QAs bolt to the stands which I understand isn't common.

I would say also being in the lounge they need to look nice. From what I can see, it's KEF or MA... Its just hard to know if that much expense is really going to make enough difference. Two subs aren't an option due to space constraints. My lounge is 4.7m x 3.5m.

Any comments or thoughts welcome, particularly if you've upgraded from similar speakers.

Attachments

• 20230402_141512.jpg
    20230402_141512.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 52
Just when I thought enough is enough, I've been sucked back in to the rabbit hole of speaker upgrades! 😭 I would say the usage split is 60% movies, 20% PS5 20% music.

I am considering upgrading my front LCR. They are currently qa 3020i with a 3090 centre.

I appreciate I would need to listen to some in a demo setting maybe... But realistically this upgrade would set me back 1,500-2000 if I'm being honest with myself.

I have a 2 year old and you'll see from the photo the speaker stands are quite well protected and he's never been near them (thankfully). Floorstanders are a dream but I couldn't stand them far enough away from the wall. The non negotiables from my current setup are as follows.

BK P12-300SB-PR sub.
Kef T101 surrounds.
Denon AVR-X1600H

So looking at bookshelves... My main issue is the cost of the stands. I'm also quite lucky the QAs bolt to the stands which I understand isn't common.

I would say also being in the lounge they need to look nice. From what I can see, it's KEF or MA... Its just hard to know if that much expense is really going to make enough difference. Two subs aren't an option due to space constraints. My lounge is 4.7m x 3.5m.

Any comments or thoughts welcome, particularly if you've upgraded from similar speakers.
Have you thought about the QA Concept 30,s ?

KEF r3?

Also need to buy better rears and sub

Then buy trinnov immersive 80" suband boulder 3050 also

Have you considered the concept 40 and matching concept centre..the concept 40 are more sturdy too. a big step up in both build and sound quality to the 3000i series.

That was my upgrade path from the same qacoustic range. Huge upgrade in clarity, soundstage and bass. But they are considerably bigger than the 3020s.

Also worth noting the R3s do have bolt holes in the base, so they can be secured to stands. When I got mine there were no stands available that allowed the speakers to be bolted to them so built my own. Kef now do the s3 stand (not cheap) which does allow the R3 to be bolted to it. If the s3 is too pricey, then only options would be build your own stands or get some other stand and either drill holes in top plate to match the r3 or make an adapter plate that sits between the stand and speaker, i.e. plate bolts to stand, then speaker bolts to the plate.

Have you considered the concept 40 and matching concept centre..the concept 40 are more sturdy too. a big step up in both build and sound quality to the 3000i series.
I would love some floor standers but not sure I can have them... One because they need to be fairly close to the wall and secondly the missus less keen. Ultimately I could probably talk her round.

Concept 40s only seem to be in white though.. I've got walnut tv unit which matches the walnut 3020i's nicely. I'll have a Google about...

That was my upgrade path from the same qacoustic range. Huge upgrade in clarity, soundstage and bass. But they are considerably bigger than the 3020s.

Also worth noting the R3s do have bolt holes in the base, so they can be secured to stands. When I got mine there were no stands available that allowed the speakers to be bolted to them so built my own. Kef now do the s3 stand (not cheap) which does allow the R3 to be bolted to it. If the s3 is too pricey, then only options would be build your own stands or get some other stand and either drill holes in top plate to match the r3 or make an adapter plate that sits between the stand and speaker, i.e. plate bolts to stand, then speaker bolts to the plate.
Thanks for the info, quite helpful to know they do have bolt holes. I think they're probably out of the question now due to the really expensive stands.

Thinking from both an aesthetics and practical viewpoint - Have you considered some good quality wall mounted speakers?

Since you mentioned MA - An Apex A40 LCR could be wall mounted. The Apex's share much of the driver tech from their Silver range of speakers and imo would garner a sufficient upgrade from your current QA's...

The only stumbling block I see is budget. The A40's don't come cheap - Although deals can be had. @markb1980 went from QA's (albeit their smaller 7000 series) to Apex's - so he'll be able to offer his thoughts etc.

If you haven't found a replacement yet and enjoy the sound you have, you can now look to the Q Acoustics 5000 Series as a worthy upgrade from your 3000 series speakers

If you haven't found a replacement yet and enjoy the sound you have, you can now look to the Q Acoustics 5000 Series as a worthy upgrade from your 3000 series speakers
They look nice... Not cheap for qa. The biggest pain in the arse is needing new stands too.

They look nice... Not cheap for qa. The biggest pain in the arse is needing new stands too.
See my suggestion of A40's as a front 3 (post #10)... You could dispense with the stands then. The added bonus of wall mounting the front 3 is additional child proofing (something I know a lot about with 2 under 6!)... Cost might be a barrier though

I do appreciate your suggestion @Jester1066 . I'm not sure I'd want to throw the required cash at them as they are v expensive. I will keep an eye on their prices though...

I do appreciate your suggestion @Jester1066 . I'm not sure I'd want to throw the required cash at them as they are v expensive. I will keep an eye on their prices though...
Totally understandable. There are also the cheaper Monitor Audio Radius 225's which can also be used in the same LCR wall mounted configuration.

If sticking with stands. I can also (as an owner) recommend the Monitor Audio Silver 100's, paired with a C250 centre.

If agree with the recommendation for monitor audio silver series.
Comparing them to the q acoustics range they are a clear step up in terms of sound quality.

The centre channel will be a good improvement as the c250 is 3 way and has a bigger cabinet volume than 3090.

Also if you have young children, the tweeters are all covered by a metal grill in this range so they are well protected.

If you can borrow a pair for a week. Don't go for a short listen at a shop and decide there and then

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom