Possible to watch HD-1 with PC sat card?

D

dixx

Hi

Just wondering if there are any PC sat cards that can decode HD-1 (the demo clips without orig card, or the entire thing with card).

At the moment im using my Dreambox to Watch the HD clips, it cant decode it, but it can record the stream on the Hardddrive, and then play it from my PC, would be nice to be able to watch in real time, would also be dandy to be able to use a subscription to HD-1, without bying the overpriced Qualitv receiver.

If it is not encrypted, you can use any satellite card. You can even view encrypted channels, but that will require some more discussion that goes beyond the scope of this board.

The key to using a PCI card in a PC to watch the HD MPEG2 stuff knocking around in Europe is to use a cheap, or budget, DVB-S card, which off-loads the MPEG2 decoding to the PC.

The more expensive devices with on-board MPEG2 decoding in hardware (and thus their own video outputs) are standard def only, and their on-board DSPs apparently choke if you go much over 10Mbs for video, even if you are trying to stream to a PC for MPEG2 decoding and display (as most HD is around the 15-18Mbs video rate)

AIUI HD-1 (was Euro1080) is now partially encrypted, so would require a CAM (or software that emulates one) and a valid viewing card to view the non-FTA stuff.

The other HD stuff - Astra tests, HD Forum etc. are all still FTA so don't need any CAM / Card faffing.

I've got all the bits in a pile at home (old dish, Nova-S DVB-S card etc.) - just haven't had the time to install, and don't fancy ladder climbing in this weather.

Stephen Neal said:
The key to using a PCI card in a PC to watch the HD MPEG2 stuff knocking around in Europe is to use a cheap, or budget, DVB-S card, which off-loads the MPEG2 decoding to the PC.

The more expensive devices with on-board MPEG2 decoding in hardware (and thus their own video outputs) are standard def only, and their on-board DSPs apparently choke if you go much over 10Mbs for video, even if you are trying to stream to a PC for MPEG2 decoding and display (as most HD is around the 15-18Mbs video rate)

AIUI HD-1 (was Euro1080) is now partially encrypted, so would require a CAM (or software that emulates one) and a valid viewing card to view the non-FTA stuff.

The other HD stuff - Astra tests, HD Forum etc. are all still FTA so don't need any CAM / Card faffing.

I've got all the bits in a pile at home (old dish, Nova-S DVB-S card etc.) - just haven't had the time to install, and don't fancy ladder climbing in this weather.

Thanks for the info, you got any recommendations for a card that would be worth getting, with regards to the HDtv stuff. I´ve never gone the pc route with my sat viewing so must admit I know absolutely zilch about it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom