Possible to use Integrated Soundbar as Non-TV Speaker?

megagold5

So I currently have a 65PML9636 TV and it comes with one of the integrated soundbars that some high-end Philips TVs have. Its an excellent soundbar, I really like it. However, as it has replaced my previous soundbar which had a load of connectivity built in, I was wondering if there is some way to use the soundbar effectively as a speaker for an external device e.g. via bluetooth such as an Amazon echo.

The TV has things like Alexa built in, DTS Play-Fi, Bluetooth etc. The closest I have gotten so far is by using DTS Play-Fi and having it installed on my phone, which allows me to stream music to the TV and play it back, however ideally I would like it to work without that go between and also without turning the screen on in the first place (you can turn the screen off and still play music, but it does come on and you have to go to the Play-Fi app etc.)

Ideal situation: Set Alexa with the TV as its bluetooth speaker, with the screen not coming on by default.

No idea if something like this is possible, but wondering if someone has found any sort of workaround here. I guess in reality it acts no different to any other TV speaker, but there are a few extra options such as Play-Fi and the android Alexa app at work as well as the ability to output sound with the screen off, so maybe there is some way to do it.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom