Possible to use a Symbian phone as a Remote? (Bluetooth)

pigdog237

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello - I'm the happy owner of a new 80GB PS3. Spent all last night setting it up to stream video etc from my Mac, updating firmware, installing Home, downloading demos etc (ironically in nasty composite as my new HD TV is not set up yet!).

I am planning to buy an official remote control at some point, but was wondering whether anyone knows if there is any software available for Symbian S60 phones to work as a remote control? I suppose it should be possible as the phone can operate via Bluetooth and the official remote also works via Bluetooth.

My phone is a Nokia e51, which I think is Symbian S60 3rd edition! :confused:

Anyone heard anything along these lines? :smashin:

I am planning to buy an official remote control at some point, but was wondering whether anyone knows if there is any software available for Symbian S60 phones to work as a remote control? I suppose it should be possible as the phone can operate via Bluetooth and the official remote also works via Bluetooth. Anyone heard anything along these lines?

Just because it bluetooth it doesnt mean it'll work.

Only the Sony official remotes, pads, psps and some dongle for blackberrys that hasnt been released actually work.

Just because it bluetooth it doesnt mean it'll work.

Only the Sony official remotes, pads, psps and some dongle for blackberrys that hasnt been released actually work.

The dongle for the blackberry is only a USB adapter anyway so I wouldnt even count that. It's only the same same as the 3rd party remotes that need you to plug in a USB dongle - I don't see the point of involving the Blackberry at all.

Have you managed to 'find' the PS3 Bluetooth with your Nokia?
I think I naively checked the PS3 on my mobile, but don't think it popped up on the device list.

I'm guessing you'd probably also need something installed on the PS3 as well to get it to 'talk' to your Nokia/Symbian device!?

As you can tell, I'm no expert :clown:, but am interested in any developments.

Last edited:
Have you managed to 'find' the PS3 Bluetooth with your Nokia?
I will try that - I was up till 2:30 last night setting it up streaming from my Mac, testing PSP connectivity etc. :boring: (tired not bored!)

They should release an app for either an iphone or ipod touch to work as a PS3 remote although knowing Apple, there will be issues with the bluetooth

I was under the impression the blackberry remote was through the device's bluetooth?

If this isn't the case like the guy above I can't see the point at all - just use a remote! :rolleyes:

I was under the impression the blackberry remote was through the device's bluetooth?

If this isn't the case like the guy above I can't see the point at all - just use a remote! :rolleyes:

Yeah it just communicates with a USB dongle that you plug in to the PS3. A lot of the news sites skimmed over that little detail ;)

Just testing the water, if there was a bit of software for Symbian/PocketPC/Windows Mobile phones would you guys pay for it?

Just testing the water, if there was a bit of software for Symbian/PocketPC/Windows Mobile phones would you guys pay for it?

It would depend what it did. If it was just emulating that standard remote, personally, i would just use the standard remote and wouldnt be bothered. The thing is I can't see you ever being able to do anything more than that unless Sony suddently decide to open up some stuff...

I'd love it if they did open up some features, would certainly have a go at writing an app for the iPhone!

EDIT: I guess you could try packet sniffing whats going on between the PS3 and the PSP to try and get remote play working on other devices, be a lot of work which could be broken the instant there was an update though...

Last edited:
Yeah this is why I ask. Would take a bit of time to reverse engineer the goings on but its possible. Just a case of weather its worth the time.

What with the BT frequency hopping between paired hosts/clients,
and the encryption (which is probably enabled to deter reverse
engineering the protocol) , it sounds like a challenging task ..... :)

Lol yep, but I wouldn't try to crack BT, that's beyond my little brain and the tools I have. I'd be taking the emulation approach.

The PSP approach might actually be easier as they just connect over your local network (no messing around with (potentially) non-standard Bluetooth profiles), just depends what's going on between them...

PSP approach?

Any dev's fancy teaming up and spending maybe 2/3 hours a week to see if we can come up with anything?

I'm good with Java/J2Me and my final year computer science project was done with Symbian. But little experince with Windows Mobile.

PSP approach?

The PSPs remote play is done over wifi so connect it to a laptop/computer on your network and then use ethereal or similar to inspect the packets being transferred between them...

I would be tempted but I'm in the middle of wirting an iPhone game with a couple of mates at the mo :S Between that and gaming there's not much time for anything else (good job the fiance is addicted to WoW!)

Ahh, I see. I don't have a PSP worth a try though.

Thinking packet sniffing the BT commands and responses might be another option.

There's a lady at work, she's paid off her mortgage and has a business or two. She was saying she might live off of those businesses and eat beans on toast so she could play WoW full time lol I'm not sure if she was kidding or not lol

Good luck with the iPhone game, hope it gets approved and you make a few bucks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom