1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible to use a 6th speaker with 5.1 films?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Cheng, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I have just installed a 6th speaker with my amp, a Yammy v630, I would like to know if it would be possible whilst playing 5.1 films to play something out of the 6th speaker,i.e. a combo of the 2 rears?

Thanks,

Cheng

2. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the amp supports supports the center rear for Dolby Digital EX material so it should have some sort of mode to use it when only receiving 5.1. Just check, I'm sure it will have a psudeo 6.1 mode somewhere.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    why?

If the yamaha amp already has 6.1 speaker connections? Surely the Yamaha amp can use a DSP to take advantage of the centre rear. We all know how fond Yamaha are of the DSP's.

4. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry chaps, mis-understood the question, my reply was how to add a rear centre speaker in a 5.1 setup that didn't have support for the rear centre (a pseudo Dolby EX).

5. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem Gary, I had assumed that what you were saying and of course your solution could work with a standard 5.1 amp.

6. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As GaryG has requested I have removed all information that may cause damage to anyone's amplifier. My apologies if anyone feels I have edited their posts unfairly.

For those with 5 channel amps, be advised that wiring up a single speaker to the positive outputs of the rear channels may cause the protection circuit to kick in, as the amp will register a link across two points that never normally get connected.

7. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The 'Haffler' connection above was general advice, I now regret posting it as it's shifting the focus of this thread. If anybody is thinking of trying this you will need to consider the correct impedance for the rear speaker to avoid damaging your equipment. Generally speaking the impedance needs to be 2x the rated impedance for that channel, so for an amplifer that expects 8 ohm impedance the rear speaker will need to be 16 ohms or two 8 ohm speakers connected in series.

Can a moderator please delete my initial response and follow up and also edit the subsequent quotes?