• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Possible to route sound to 2 connections at once?

NinjaMonkeyUK

Hi everyone.

I'm not really sure where to put this question so as it is related to sound ouput I thought I'd ask here.

I've built an HTPC with Vista Media Center (Home Premium, x64) & the motherboard features onboard 7.1 channel surround output.

I've used these outputs to send 5.1 channel sound to my amplifier which works great for DVD / BD / HD DVD but I am now looking into buying a graphics card which features HDMI output onboard.

The graphics card I am looking at also supports audio over the HDMI connection so I would like to use that to connect to my Panasonic plasma TV.

Is it possible to send sound to both the onboard sound card AND the HDMI at the same time? I want to be able to use the HTPC with just the speakers in the TV for when I'm watching late at night, but when I'm watching a film I want to just be able to turn my amp on & use 5.1 without having to change anything in Windows.

Is this at all possible?

Thanks in advance.

Wo0zy

Hi everyone.

I'm not really sure where to put this question so as it is related to sound ouput I thought I'd ask here.

I've built an HTPC with Vista Media Center (Home Premium, x64) & the motherboard features onboard 7.1 channel surround output.

I've used these outputs to send 5.1 channel sound to my amplifier which works great for DVD / BD / HD DVD but I am now looking into buying a graphics card which features HDMI output onboard.

The graphics card I am looking at also supports audio over the HDMI connection so I would like to use that to connect to my Panasonic plasma TV.

Is it possible to send sound to both the onboard sound card AND the HDMI at the same time? I want to be able to use the HTPC with just the speakers in the TV for when I'm watching late at night, but when I'm watching a film I want to just be able to turn my amp on & use 5.1 without having to change anything in Windows.

Is this at all possible?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Iron Monkey,

It is possible to manually configure the system for each scenario but not possible to output both at the same time.

Not only would you have to change the default audio output device you would also have to change the audio output configuration for your BD/HD DVD player (PDVD I assume).

VMC's audio configuration would also need to be changed.

If you don't mind doing this it's perfectly possible. If you just want it to work then the answer is no.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Wo0zy.

james.miller

i can output digital and analogue at the same time in vista using my asus D2. its the only card im aware of that'll do it in vista, most can in xp. its the only way i can see you doing it in vista right now, unless you want to run 6 channel analogue output to your amp and split the front main rca's to the tv as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom