1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

possible to attach sub via azur 640C/A?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ScoobyDoo69, Sep 5, 2004.

1. ScoobyDoo69

ScoobyDoo69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey guys, i have a cambridge audio 640A and 640C, and was wondering if its possible at all to be able to attach a Subwoofer to it? i wouldnt want to take the bass from my speakers, just have that EXTRA punchy bass and such, is this possible?? cheers

ScoobyDoo69

2. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    I do it via the pre-outs.

3. ScoobyDoo69

ScoobyDoo69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so do u just choose any preout or both, i didnt think subs have a stereo input do they? or am i dense? lol thanks

ScoobyDoo69

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Don't you have high level (speaker level) connections on your sub that can be attached to the speaker terminals on the amp

5. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Ian J, I think he doesn't want to use the speaker-level connections,
    "i wouldnt want to take the bass from my speakers", he said.

Sorry, my solution is not universal... But almost.
    I assumed you have an active subwoofer. If so, then I think it must have two line-level (like from the cd player to the amp) inputs. That is what I use.
    If it is not an active subwoofer, I think you are not going the "wise way"... I think! I am not sure, but I believe it is highly reccomended... Correct me if I am wrong, Sub-Masters :)
    If you only have one line-level input in the sub(maybe home cinema in-a-box are like that, assuming you'll connect the sub-output of the amp), you might join both pre-outs with a Y connector, that should sum the signals up and deliver them at the sub-input. I don't know if you could damage the amp by doing this, but it sounds safe to me.... Any comments on this?

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A speaker level connection would feed the sub with a full range signal but the sub's crossover would be set at the point where the bass in the main speakers would start to roll off so that it would not take anything away from the speakers but continue where they left off.

7. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    That sounded like text book!
    I know that, but I assumed he is concerned about the quality of the signal. The use of crossovers degrades it, in any case. If it is a good one, it might be unnoticeable, but I think this is rarely the case (I don't know it). In any case, after checking the quality of my (Magnat alpha A30) sub's crossover (I can hear voices through it when set to 50 Hz, although very low), I wouldn't dare to use it for my stereo system (also Azur 640 A&C). Maybe I am wrong?

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Most subs do have a stereo input but not all of them do, check before you buy.