1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible system - comments welcomed!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by KenH, Mar 17, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I want to buy a dvd player and surround sound speaker system for the living room, and would like to use it to play cd's on as well. I have to say that I am not one for listening to the nuances of the music being played, I'll just enjoy the music. Same for the movies, I just want to enjoy the improved picture and sound quality.

The living room is nearly 14 feet square and the television, cd player, and front speakers will, unless I am strongly advised against, will be on the existing corner unit there. The rear speakers can sit on top of the wall unit on the opposite wall to the cabinet. The sub woofer can be sited on the floor next to the tv cabinet.

In terms of budget, I would like to keep within £600-£800, but could stretch to £1000 if needs must.

Yesterday I went to Superfi. They recommended the kef KHT2005 speaker system (which I understand has the Mark 1 sub woofer - 150 watts) @£600. With this they also recommended the yamaha dvd player S530 and yamaha receiver HTR5540 for a combined price of £299.95.

1 Does anyone have the kef speakers and what do they think of them? Are they powerful enough for the size of our room or do we ned more powerful ones.

2 I've heard negative comments about the sub woofer. What do people with the system think? Should I opt for the mark 11 - 250 watt sub woofer or will the mark 1 sub woofer be okay?

3 Is there another speaker system as good as the kef ones that will cost less?

4 Does the yamaha dvd player and receiver match the speakers and will they all as a system do the job for me - decent movie quality for dvd's and decent sound for cd's. Are there other better quality dvd players or receivers for roughly the same amount of money I'll currently committed to = £300-£350 for the two units unless I can save money on speakers!!

Thanks for any help

Ken

2. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard the Marantz Receivers got rave reviews in the press. The cheapest one is the SR4300 for £300 RRP, although it can be found cheaper if you shop around, as for DVD player consider a Pioneer DV350 or Toshiba SD220, both give excellent picture, are very cheap (£100-150), and can be multi-region chipped.

3. KenH

KenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Sunday!

What do you think of the speakers, bearing in mind my wish to stay within budget!

Ken

4. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't heard them although it did win an award from What HIFI:

"The KHT 2005 package is superb: we can't put it more clearly than that" - What HiFi Awards, 2002.

5 Stars.

5. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    do sme more homework :D

do you want a "lifestyle" solution for your speakers? Do you feel that you need a subwoofer?

You can ge a well speced dvd player for around £100 a great av amp (yamaha dsp 630) for £250 leaving a lot of money to spend on speakers

7. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about this:

Pioneer DV350 DVD Player - Multi-region, 5 Star rating

£100

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1158

Marantz SR4300 Receiver - 6.1 DTS/DD5.1EX etc. highly rated (see mags/online for reviews), SACD/DVD-A compatible

£300

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1258

Mission M72i Home Cinema Speaker Package - 5 Star rating, the 'i' versions are the improved models, the none 'i' versions can be found cheaper

£330 for 'i' version

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1343

...or £265 for non 'i' version

http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=0_9tTj2ITHLa&vp=6&bg=216&bp=72s&bi=0

+£60 for some decent quality speaker cable
    +£20 for Digital Optical/Co-axial lead
    +£20 for RGB scart cable
    (try Lektropacks http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/shop.asp)

That should all come to around £800 depending on which speakers you choose. The only thing you lack is a sub, but the speakers should be able to make up for that until you can afford a decent sub later on. Hope this helps!