Possible Stupid Question: Would a Modular PSU help with Airflow as well as Space?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by ocelot20, Mar 7, 2013.

1. ocelot20

ocelot20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Hello,

Right I have a biggish case with 1x 120mm fan at the top. 1x 80mm (I think) in the front and a smaller fan at the back. All work fine and my PC is pretty silent.

When I went to put my new 7870 in there a few weeks ago. I struggled due to all the PSU wires all around the place. After finally getting it in the unused wires where crushed together at the bottom near the PSU its self.

A few days ago all of a sudden my PC turned off. When I turned it back on it said it could not find my hard drive. So I opened it up and the 24 pin motherboard wire had been crushed against my SSD drive and snapped the SATA port off. Amazingly it still works. I also noticed it was really warm at the bottom where all the wires are.

So am sitting here thinking should I ditch this PSU and go modular? My current PSU is a OCZ 750w PSU. I am thinking of getting a 550w Corsair Modular PSU. Would that be a good choice?

Can you also recommend any other modular PSU's? Thanks in advance.

2. Speedy624

Speedy624

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    The modular PSU will definitely help with space as there will be no need to connect any unused cables. Your gfx card will sit comfortably and you will not have any hard drive issues relating to any squished cables.

As for the power and airflow, it will help with airflow a little as unused cables can be removed. You want to check the wattage required for the gfx card and other components to see if 550 is enough.

3. ocelot20

ocelot20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131

Thanks for the quick reply. I am pretty sure 550w would of been enough for by PC. But I just saw this Corsair 750W CXM Builder Modular 80 Plus Bronze PSU 3.. | Ebuyer.com.

Cheapest I can see as well. Plus I have been toying with the idea of sticking another 7870 in my build when AMD release there next set of cards so 750w will cover that.

4. dacads

dacads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Personally I would go with a XFX 750w as the CX range isn't great. As for airflow I guess it helps as you won't have a pile of dust under the wires like I do at bottom of case :p

5. samisnake

samisnake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    depends on your case as to whether itll help with airflow.
    if youve got a modern case, with space behind the mobo tray to hide the wires, it wont really make any difference.

i bought my current modular psu when cases where quite a bit narrower, with hardly any cable tidying features, so it helped. nowadays, im not sure its really needed, other than for looks or specific cases (small ones etc).

6. Drudgery

Drudgery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You might want to spend on a decent case and PSU, although this would increase your budget considerably. Also as someone has mentioned earlier, going for something like the Corsair CX series is probably not the best idea.

Lastly crossfiring with AMD cards with the 7000 series is an absolute headache according to many users. Microstuttering aside they can be a pain to deal with. Out of interest what model 7870 did you buy? If it's the one with the Tahiti LE chips you'll need another Tahiti based GPU to crossfire with that card.

7. ocelot20

ocelot20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Hi yes it was the le power colour myst edition. I think ill save up and get a xfx psu.

8. RustySpoons

RustySpoons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I recommend the FSP Aurum range, Gold/Plantinum plus efficiency levels.

9. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    What I really dislike with all these higher end PSU's, whether modular or not, is that they all have braided cables.

How this is a benefit I don't know, it makes them very stiff, unwilling to bend, very fat and a pain in the ass to route. I'm pretty sure we all got on just fine before this particular 'inovation'.

10. RustySpoons

RustySpoons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    My FSP has what I would describe as thick heatshrink over the cables which are also flat not round, they bend easily and route easily. But those fishnet stocking braids annoy me and don't really offer any protection, just for cosmetics I guess!