Possible Strata V problem

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mlinhares, Sep 23, 2004.

1. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I traded my Strata III for a Strata V a few months ago. When I tried to calibrate it instead of a continuous sound (that I got with the Strata III) I got small burst of sound as if the sub was switching itself off and then on again. Tonight I was watching Star Wars and in the intro of THX in the final explosion it's quite clear that the sub switches itself off. Could it be a problem with the sub?

In the AV processor the sub is at 0dB so I think that problem doesn't come from there. The position and the cables are also the same that I used in the Strata III.

Could someone shed some light?

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

It could well be a problem,are you useing high level connections or low level connections?
    When i used to put my Strata 5 into standby there would be a slight pop to let you know the sub was on or off are you getting that noise aswell.
    I would try and run it with high and low independantly and find out if one is ok, but it could also be the LFE output from the amp or processor might be not working properly.
    I would try and narrow it down and eliminate each source 1st and then if still no joy take it back to your dealer or speak to them.

John :)

3. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Low level only. I also ear a small pop…
    Did your Srata had to be fixed?

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

That small pop was quite normal as is more noticeable when corner placed but it is just letting you know the amp is working.
    I would try what you can increasing the gain or maybe changeing location and if still not happy speak to your dealer ;)

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hiya.
    I hope its not your AV, you have had enough trouble with your DVD..... :(

I'm curious why you bothered to go from the III to the V? Please don't tell me it was to match the blue lights with the rest of your kit :rotfl:

Are you sure its just not the protection circuit cutting in? Try winding down the gain a bit adn increasing the calibration in the AV.
    Of course with your luck it might just be broken....

6. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Graham

With my luck it could well be broken. It's not just the DVD… two weeks ago I bought a new cell phone (Nokia 6230) and it kept giving me problems, I went to Club Nokia and they tested it and it's broken… Last week I ordered a Denon 2200 because as you I needed a player. Played a couple of SACD, fine, then tried it with films and kept getting video freezes and macroblocking. Like a friend says I should consult a witch!

Regarding the Strata V it could be the protection circuit, but in the DP I have 0dB and the DP worked fine with the Strata III. I have set the volume on the sub to 75 (0-99), so it's a little far from full volume. I tried putting the volume lower on the DP and the sub didn't clipped (I think, I'll give it a try in the evening).
    I traded the Strata III for the Strata V because I want in the future a two sub set-up (can have it right now because of space limitations) and the III would be out of production… so I sold it and bought a V.

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Your not haveing much luck lately let's hope that changes ;)

As far as your volume on the sub is concerned that does seem alittle hot, the most i had was about 55 and still that was to high in the end settled for about 47.

8. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm using 40Hz cut-off in the front speakers and more depth than slam. I think that's way the volume is a little high.

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe try some other configurations say a higher cut off from fronts eg 80hz and lower the volume and increase the slam and see if that sounds any better other than that if your still not happy then go to your dealer for more advice.

10. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    "Slam"??????? Please don't tell me thats one of the settings.......

I'd suggest just doing the bear minimum on the sub, line level, no fancy stuff set, enough gain to give a speaker cal reading of 75dBc without large numbers in the DP. Let teh TMREQ do anything else to the sub. One thing, if you have the TMREQ activated, your not trying to lift a particular frequency are you? That might upset the sub protection... Why didnt'you just buy another III now and bung it in the loft until you need it....Life would be so much more simple......

I personally didn't buy into the new V series, too much glitz over substance, when I measured a V against a III sonically with a DP/192R TMREQ'd up mlost of us actually preferred the III. Different rooms might give different results of course..........

11. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Graham, the Strata V has another setting, it's slam or depth, you can adjust that. I like the Strata V it's more "powerfull" than Strata III. I find the Strata III to have a more "fat" bass response.

12. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hiya.

Oh please stop winding me up......"slam and depth" settings.....What is the world coming to.....

Set it up with TMREQ and they will sound the same, of course if you prefer bass heavier or lighter than perfect then that is entirely up to you. That supposed extra power is of no use at all if it clips when it tries to use it mate......
    I better look after my pair of III's if this type of thing awaits me at replacement time, mind you a couple of servo subs is where I'll head when that time comes.....

Enjoy the weekend, Barby in the garden or watching the GP? I favour the barby having seen the pictures!

13. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on GrahamMG give the guy a hand ;)

Personally after owning quite a few REL subs i would not being buying another as there are so much better ones out there.

Just my opinion

14. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Much better weekend, Graham. This weekend is Audioshow. And if I find it is of no interest I will probably go to the beach (the weather is absolutely fabulous… it's between 30 to 35°C). Now there's no TMreeq to give you that (just kidding).

15. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I don't think I'd buy a V series either, small servo subs would do me very nicely now......Don't underestimate the value of TMREQ though as it does level a very bumpy playing field making the choice far less important than you would otherwise think, pick the right size for the room and the rest is in the setup.....

I'd love to go over and help matey, his place looked breathtaking but with that kind of view and weather it wouldn't be for TMREQing a sub.......

16. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Having owned a Strata III, Im firmly of the opinion that you cant squeeze a gallon out of a pint pot :)

17. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    True, but I and many others use 2 of them, more than enough for your average living room......... Having said that I would demo some servo subs next time if I change speakers or move to bigger premises......

18. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just ask Barry or John about my SVS Graham :D

19. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Thunder.
    How big is it? (the Sub, silly......)

20. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well if you must know! :D 18" by 25" by 28". Twin 12" drivers and 900W BASH digital hybrid amp. [email protected] +/-3db anechoic :devil: . Go to svsubwoofers.com and be enlightened Graham :smashin: Its cleaner tighter and far more powerfull than my old REL and only cost £950.00!