Possible sound issues in F.E.A.R

adey1986

Novice Member
Hi, just started to play fear and have noticed some strange things happening with the sound, during fmv sequences such as when that weird guy hits you over the head, (sorry just started the game so dont know any names) I can only see his lips move but cant actually hear him speak, is this whats meant to happen? Also at varying points I can't hear my gun fire or any sounds around me other than the in game music. Sorry if this is all normal, thanks in advance

Adrian

gargoyle

adey, it could be many things, maybe your systems not up to spec for this title - fear is a very demanding game, then again, it could be your audio settings, memory, cpu etc, whats your system specs?

adey1986

Novice Member
Heres my system spec:

- AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz (Socket AM2) - Retail
- AMD Athlon 64 Approved CPU Cooler
- Asus Vintage V3-M2V890 Barebones System
- Corsair 1GB DDR2 Value Select PC5300 Dual Channel Kit (2x512MB)
- Western Digital 250GB SATA-II 16MB Cache
- Sony Floppy Drive - Black
- NEC AD5170 18x18 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
- NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) Graphics
- On-Board 5.1 Audio
- Integrated Gigabit LAN
- Microsoft Vista Basic 32-Bit Edition

adey1986

Novice Member
I've just noticed that the in game sounds speech etc isnt not there at all but just really really faint, even though I have put speech right up in options.

gargoyle

your system is easily up to spec, the weak link is definitely your motherboards built in sound card - thats not to say that its wholley responsible for the problem, but if you want to utilise Fear's audio features like eax, hd, mixing etc, a standalone card is definitely the way to go - I spent £15 on an audigy se 7.1 sound card last week after using my mobo's built in sound card, and the game actually ran faster and sounds MUCH better.

A short term solution would be to make sure that you can free up as much ram as possible prior to playing, and shutting down all those background programs.

you'll probably need to check that your mobo is fully vista ready and that there is no driver issue with the sound card.

adey1986

Novice Member
How do I view the details of my motherboard?

wormvortex

I'd get a dedicated sound card. It will help speed up your game as the SC will handle to audio processing. You can get a cheap one for about £10 or an expensive one for £100+

Mine personally cost me £20 a few years back and i've had nothing but joy out of it. Maybe if i had £200 THX certified speakers I'd consider something like the soundblast x-fi series of cards but for standard pc speakers a £10 sound card is all you need.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom