antsims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I called Sky today to cancel Sky Glass and I mentioned how the Puck would be great as a stand-alone product and would sell like hot cakes. Especially as it’s 4K. Now take this as you wish- but the guy said to me that someone who used to be on his team and sat next to him, is testing already, Sky Q Mini 4K.

Be great if this is true.

Jackanory

Having read all the reviews of Sky Glass, a 4K mini is exactly what I would like to see also.

On top of this he removal of the 2 minis at once, 4 minis in total limit. This limit is very arbitrary to allow people to use tablets as well as Minis and there is no reason to not allow people to use whatever suits them. There is a way around it which is to use consoles with the Sky app on them.

Well if this works out to be 4K supported then I'd say this would be a better option that a new mini

Have to wait until next year though for the Sky Go app

Well if this works out to be 4K supported then I'd say this would be a better option that a new mini

Have to wait until next year though for the Sky Go app
Highly unlikely to have UHD support as none of the other platforms with Sky Go have it. It also appears to be a limitation of the main box that it can't stream to other devices in UHD..

Highly unlikely to have UHD support as none of the other platforms with Sky Go have it. It also appears to be a limitation of the main box that it can't stream to other devices in UHD..

See that's crazy isn't it? They have to sort their app out now that Glass is running via IP in UHD with no (not many) issues, no reason to not do it. I'd be fine having only HD playing from the main Q box recordings but everything else should be via the internet and able to run UHD if available.

I still maintain that it will be NOW that will get the UHD HDR streaming update and will charge an additional £10 Boost subscription to enable it.
The Sky Go app on Apple TV will probably be limited to HD but will basically allow customers to do away with the dreadful Sky Q minibox mesh system and stream content direct from Sky's servers. Apple's hardware is infinitely superior and more reliable than Sky's so it'll save an awful lot of hassle for Q/Apple TV owners.
You never know, they may allow UHD/HDR via the Sky Go app... but it's most likely they'd keep it exclusive to the Sky pucks which are basically a cheap knock-off Apple TV box.

Yeh I'll give the app a go on my Apple TV when it comes out and see if it's better than my Q mini box. Problem is the Apple TV might be excellent hardware but then if the Sky app is atrocious n it then it doesn't help.
To tell you the truth I've barely used the Sky Go app anyway. All I'm looking for is UHD feed to my OLED as my main Q box is in our lounge and the Q minis are ok some of the time and dreadful the rest, especially when it comes to internet access issues (although connection to the main Q box is always stable and fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom