possible purchase of an nvidia gpu

offitmassive

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Evening all, after a massive headache with a recent purchase of an amd r6950 2gb, im looking at an nvidia card, possibly the gtx 650 ti boost 2gb. thing is i know nothing about nvidia, and the only reason why ive always bought an amd card is the fact they carry audio from the graphics card down the hdmi cable to my tv. do nvidia cards also now do this as i dont want an additional soundcard and aux cable plugged in just for sound.

i know xfx are the Achilles heals of amd cards... ive seen gainward and palit etc on nvidia.... are these makers any good or ones to try to avoid..ive heard of the usual msi ,asus etc

are there any other graphics cards to look at around the amd 7850 / 7870 price/performance specs?

looking to spend £140-£150 at the very most

Hey pal :)

Nvidea cards support sound via HDMI as do AMD ;)

My advice to you is nip over to computer classified and source a GTX 580 for between £100 - £120, they manage todays games @ 1080p with ease.

On a side note you need a decent PSU thats 550w or more fella :)

Cheers chap. That's good to know they support audio too. Gtx 580 any good as have sourced a brand new gtx 660 2gb for £152 with a free game. I've just installed an enermax 850w semi modular. Buy thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:

Personally prefer Nvidia better driver stability and generally if you buy a decent brand they last longer as well. I've had both in the past and every AMD/ATI card had failed after couple of years, most of my Nvidia ones are still working.

GTX660 is much better card and with your psu you can SLI them if you find your lacking a bit of grunt. 650ti is pants in comparison to be honest.

on Scan you can pick up some refurb deals they had GTX460 1GB for £77 each which are bargain but the 660ti is much quicker so worth the extra wedge.

Thank you. I've never had nvidia before so I'm not in a position to say, but have found the prices higher on nvidia cards. As have found a 3gb msi 7950 for £151.99 free delivery. I can't find anything that spec at that price with nvidia. My limit is about 150 too. I didn't wanna go above 120 but it's getting higher and higher so I've had to put a limit and stick to it cuz it's getting out of control! And il want a new case to stick it all in, looking at a zalman z9 so price is ever increasing still

does that include vat? which website have to be careful quite a few dodgy online pc parts e sellers. stick to recommend ones like scan, overclockers, ebuyer, aria and dabs etc.

at that price if it's genuine is a steal, it is a very good card and can be overclocked nicely for a decent 10-15% boost in speed, just don't waste time with crossfire as it can be a bit jerky at present AMD still working out the kinks.

The other decent value for money card is the 7870 XE which is Tahiti based like the 7900 series but with bit less memory and bandwidth but they again overclock nicely to over 1GHZ and makes them as quick if not faster than a std clocked 7950.

As above, £152 for a 7950 looks to be far too good to be true. They are generally £200 new with the free games.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Cheers chap. That's good to know they support audio too. Gtx 580 any good as have sourced a brand new gtx 660 2gb for £152 with a free game. I've just installed an enermax 850w semi modular. Buy thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:
I`ve not been getting notes for some subbed threads :rolleyes:

You have same PSU as me :smashin:

Good taste fella :D

I`ve not been getting notes for some subbed threads :rolleyes:

You have same PSU as me :smashin:

Good taste fella :D

I'm hit and miss too, sometimes I get notifications, other times I don't.

Not had chance to put the psu under any strain yet, just gets used to gently power up my pc for eBay :p

850w PSU sounds about just right for browsing ebay :D

Stretch its legs ;)

Haha I'm trying to find something to be able to do that! I'm awaiting my delivery on my 3gb 7950, then gotta find some gains to give the psu a stitch! Psu gets a warm up on AVForums too ;)

I bet theyre both as bullish as each other :clap:

Enermax make rock solid PSU`s mate :smashin: (So I`ve been told :laugh:)

Enermax very good PSU 850w should be fine for most setups these days including SLI on any card upto GTX 680/770.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom