1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible PS3 Release Date & Price

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Kopite4Ever, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    found on what i believe a reputable site

http://www.gamershell.com/news/24220.html

for the lazy amoungst you

Word is PlayStation 3 will be launched on 15th March 2006 in Europe and its price will be 399EUR. There is no official announcement from Sony Computer Entertain Europe yet, but we feel this is going to happen pretty soon. As you already know, Sony announced that PS3 will be expensive. It turns out the console will retail for the same price with the premium offer of Xbox 360 from Microsoft. Stay tuned for more news!

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    if thats the price and date then,

A, i'll look forward to Halo 3 on that day :smashin:

B, it will have the cheapest HD-DVD drive in it making that part next to useless (think PS2 DVD playback).

i cant see that that is the date because if it was Sony would be shouting from the rooftops to try and deflect from the 360.

Gary

3. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    What's so good about Halo anyhow? I thought it was just another FPS?
    And it's BLU-RAY, not HD-DVD. :lesson:

4. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    if you have to ask you haven't played it (otr you dont like FPS gamers.)

as for blu ray or HD DVD the argument still holds up either way - you can split hairs if you want to - if its like PS2 DVD playback then it will rubbish.

Gary

5. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,418
    excellent...Xbox 360 on order for my xmas present...PS3 just in time for my birthday present!!! In the words of Louis Armstrong "...and I think to myself, what a wonderful wife"!

6. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    £300 for a next gen console & a high def player sounds great to me. As for the quality of the play back - we'll have to wait to see!

Played Halo once - couldn't possibly comment on the merits of the game. And yes, I do play FPS's on PS2 & PC...

7. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That is definely the JAP lauch date.

I can only see that as a bad translation from an european that read the news of launch in Japan.

But, it could also mean an Europe-Japan simultaneus lauch (Never happened)

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    Sounds a great price, I guess only time will tell if they can pull it off!

9. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    did some more scouting after this and there isnt any other mention of this anywhere :confused: what is strange is IMO gamershell is a well known gaming site and ive never seen them spout off rumours like this on their own so i havnt a clue. depending on the bank balance this may be to early a date for the release :devil:

10. Jwarl

Jwarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This page says very clearly it is a rumour. Sony have already stated that the PS3 will not be cheap, adding Blu Ray technology is clearly going to force up costs (or mean the console will sell at a massive loss).
    I think Sony have made a massive mistake... I want a games machine, pure and simple. When the HD-DVD vs Blu Ray war is finished I may buy a hi-def movie player.

I am not an expert on hi-def but if the PS3 is reading digital data from the Blu-Ray disc and sending this digitally to the display then why would you expect performance issues. The problems with the PS2 are surely associated with the poor digital to analogue conversion?

11. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Yes, this is a rumour and utterly unsubstantiated. It would be great if it were true but I doubt it.
    I'm expecting a price of £350 approx..maybe £375. As for a launch date...who knows!

I want the Blu-Ray feature of the PS3. I've thought about getting a HD dvd player but the PS3 gives this to me as a bonus. Whether or not it's any good we'll have to wait and see but I'm not expecting it to be rubbish (not to say that it won't be...there's a chance I guess).

12. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Perhaps we'll know more at TGS (Tokyo Game Show) which runs 16th - 18th September. Until then, yes, just another rumour. With a bit of luck, Sony will annouce the final specs of the machine, maybe a release schedule and some details on pricing...

Tokyo Game Show link below.

http://tgs.cesa.or.jp/exhi/english/

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    I'd much rather have a stand alone HD movie player and will not buy until I know which way the market is heading. The danger with PS3 is that people may pay a good amount for the console only to find that HD-DVD is the winner and that the blu-ray format becomes obsolete. The PS3 then becomes a rather expensive games console. I never used my PS2 as a DVD player and don't see this being any different with a PS3 including Blu-Ray player. Sony are taking a massive risk and as things stand there is only a 50% chance of success - not the odd's i'd like when releasing the product that essentially carries my company!

14. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I'm not so sure it's simply 50/50. Sony have an advantage in movies I feel and recently bought the back catalogue of a film studio (can't remember the name).
    I was prepared to wait and see which does the best but the PS3 made my mind up as for sure there will be more Blu-Ray players available than HD DVD players by virtue of the PS3. That's half the battle. And the PS3 will sell..maybe not as fast initally but it will.
    Add to that the PS3's HDMI (which the 360 does not have..VGA supposedly being a slightly inferior PQ) I felt the PS3 gave me the two things I wanted, a next gen games machine and a next gen DVD player. I really was'nt prepared to buy the PS3 OR a HD DVD player/Blu Ray player.
    Of course I'm well aware of the inferior nature of the PS2's DVD capabilities, though it has improved with the latest PS2's, but I see no reason why Sony would do the same twice. If MS has learned from their mistakes so can Sony.
    It would seem MS didn't get HD DVD for the 360 because it would have made it more expensive, something they did not want to do. Sony have made a brave decision, a gamble if you like, on Blu Ray even if it puts the price of the PS3 up. I even like the SACD, though I have an SACD player already! It will put HD movies into the hands of the public and may be as influential as the PS2 was (in Japan anyway) in helping the DVD era start.

Anyway, I intend to have a 360 and a PS3 so I can experiance the best that both consoles will produce. Really that's all any gamer can hope for! Everything else is sweet cake frosting!

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    MS are adding the HD-DVD to the 360 later in it's life so we should see both consoles help to build up the respective formats. I think it's right to see how the market pans out before deciding what to add to a console.

I don't see HD-DVD as a format to take over from DVD, but instead more of a niche format like SACD & DVD-A. I feel that over the next 5 years video is more likely to be replaced by a HD format that can be downloaded and streamed (like mp3 has become a major music format). Physical media will become less and less viable - especially as broadband speeds are expected to increase as high as 40mbps over the next year. DVD's will be fine for games storage over the next generation and MS could even announce a HD movie download service (and a bigger HD say 300gb) for the 360 and that would mean that HD discs wouldn't really be required.

I think that MS are wise to wait and see how the new formats pan out as I really don't see any of them becoming a mainstream format (most people haven't had DVD that long).

16. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i used my ps2 as a dvd player for a long time. I think it's only those who are really into watching films that will not find a blu-ray player on the ps3 a massive plus. For the majority the decision is a) a games machine with no 'dvd' playback and then having to buy a dedicated hd unit to take advantage of the new technology. or b) a games unit with an incorporated player.

ok the battle btw blu-ray or hd-dvd may not be won, but surely that's an argument for have a games console and player incorporated, rather than buying a dvd player which turns out to have supported the losing side. at least if hd-dvd win, you've still got a good console, but if you bought a blu-ray dvd drive separately you're left with nothing.

17. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I still use my PS2 as my only source of DVD viewing. My DVD collection stands at a paultry 10 films - so I'm no film buff. For me, the picture quality is better than VHS - and for a lot of consumers, that's their reason for embracing DVD in the first place. With HD, they're not going to be interested in the higher picture quality HD-DVD/Blu-Ray has to offer as they'll be perfectly happy with what they're using at the moment. HD will only appeal to the hardcore film buff/AV enthusiast - and they probably won't buy a PS3 for their set-up. However, technology needs to be pushed & introduced at some point - if it didn't, where would we be now? Still watching black & white telly? Sony introduced DVD play back in the PS2 in an attempt to assist the mainstream adoption DVD content as the de-facto format over VHS. 6 years later - VHS sales are insignificant. So, Blu-ray might go the same way - we'll have to wait and see. Even if it fails, games will be produced on Blu-ray. Whilst we know no game will reach 50 gb in the foreseeable future - they will one day. Why not introduce the technology now? And in the meantime, fill the disk up with additional content - stuff like 'the making of', 'interview with', film trailers etc..

Plus, don't forget - the PS3 has 2 slots & potentially 3 Tv outs (2 HDMI & 1 SD). Personally I like the thought of playing a game whilst the missus watches a DVD - don't you?

As for the Xbox360, well I think it could turn into a bit of a mess. A core system with no HDD. A premium system with HDD. And then a system with a HD-DVD drive. No thanks.

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    My point is that these HD storage methods will probably just be a niche thing anyway with DVD being the mainstream format until it is replaced by digital content streaming and downloading. How many people here use SACDs? Now how many people use MP3? Video will go the same way, it's just that video files are much bigger and the broadband speeds have to increase to make this a possibility. NTL etc. have already said that they expect speeds to get up to around 30-40 mbps in around a year.