1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible problem with my Philips 963sa

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jules12, May 12, 2003.

1. Jules12

Jules12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have just started to have a problem with my Philips 963sa. While watching Die another day the other night immeadiately after the layer change the machine seemed to kept pausing and skipping forward, almost like a layer change again. Then I had blocks of green on the screen every now and then. This also happened while watching Alien SE.
    Anyone else had this problem? This was in interlaced mode through a S-video signal, so it is nothing to do with the progressive scan probs I have read about.
    Any ideas anyone ?

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I haven't got Alien SE to try, but my 963 plays Die Another Day without problems, have you any other discs with problems ?

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do the discs work in another player?

The two discs I've had with disc rot did the same- pixellation, green blocks, pauses etc. Then eventual lockup.

4. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Jules12,

I've never had this problem with mine, I watched Die Another Day last week and it seemed fine ( apart from a poor quality transfer ) though it was connected via component.

I have recently made moves to have my player checked out from the shop where I bought it with the hope Philips will replace it with a new machine with the revised firmware and chips.

Klippie.

5. a_b

a_b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jules12,

In my experience, the player is quite sensitive to dust/finger marks. Try to clean the disks - it might help.

Klippie,

What are the rivised hardware and chips? Is the Philips story not over yet? (have not read AVS for a while)

6. GregMarst

GregMarst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Jules 12

Had very similar problem with my 963 and Die Another Day - after the layer change it appeared to be in fast forward mode. This was a rental copy and though I had checked it before leaving the shop I assumed it was dirt. Gave the disc a clean and it worked fine there after.

Greg

7. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    a_b,

I have been following the huge 963 thread on AVS for a while and apparently a problem has been found with the DCDi chip's electronics or something and a mod is available from Philips for existing machines. The recent manufactured machines have this mod built in and a new firmware version as well.

I'am going to pursue this with the shop where I bought the dvd player from to try to have this work done or demand a new machine but I want to keep the 963 as I think it has the potenial to be something great.

Klippie.

8. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'Disc rot?'. I am curious what you mean by this because I've had two discs that just suddenly stopped working (picture and sound break up in various places during the film), and it's definitely not down to any hygiene problems - the discs are in new condition. One of them is Chicken Run which I know someone else had problems with after owning it for quite a while.

So do you know of something that affects some/all discs or are you just giving a term to something that you've noticed?

Thanks.

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chicken Run Region 1 is one of my faulty discs. And License To Kill Region 1. No scratches, no blemishes on the disc at all. Cleaned the disc, but both pixellate and crash on three pure 110V Region 1 DVD-Video players, and a PC DVD-ROM.

Someone has Lethal Weapon disc rot, they look pretty bad. Do a search on these forums. Strange you get different variations of disc rot.

Also do a search on Google for DVD rot.

Oh the point if Chicken Run where it pixellates- just after the Chickens have a fight in the mud, and Ginger asks Fowler "What's the Old crate"- layer change here, and Fowler opens a box. Pixellates then crashes in that scene.

10. Jules12

Jules12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the info peeps, I wouldn't have thought it was due to dirty discs cause they were both brand new, but I will give them a good clean.
    I will have to try a few more discs to get a better idea.
    Thanks again for your help.