1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Plasma Price Increase

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GJC, Mar 25, 2004.

1. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Quote,

"A new interpretation of EU regulations may add up to £200 to the price of LCD monitors, according to industry experts.

The issue arises because of a difference in levied duty on TVs and computer monitors. While computer equipment isn't subject to duty, anything capable of connecting to a video system - including TVs and Video monitors - is taxed at 14% when it enter the EU.

Until recently, there has been no propar definition of what is a computer monitor. Due to the steady convergence of PC and TV equipment, some manufacturers have been able to import goods as computer monitors and sell them as televisions, particularly large plasma screens that can be used with both inputs.

A EU commission body recently agreed that all plasma monitors with DVI connectors would be treated as Dual use, and therefore subject to 14% duty - even if they were being sold for use with computers........'

Further info available on page 31 of PCPro - May 2004

----

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    this would just induce more like the panny with the modular design.....

ad

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I've been banging on about this for some time. It is DVI they have abee in their bonnet about. This does not eliminate the panny, they have taken modular designs into account in the legislation. See my comments on why the new Fujitsus don't have DVI.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ahha..... didnt realise that..... so what happens if you buy a panny for analogue only...... what idiocy! I guess then future designs just woundt have dvi at all

ad

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Present designs even. VHA30. XHA50. Now Fujitsu don't look so silly do they. Does nobody listen to me!!!!

edit. BTW this is due to come into force on 1.5.04. My partner came across this in the pile of EC stuff he gets from his day job about 2 months ago, it has been said before and repeatedly overlooked on the Fujitsu thread. They are quite serious, monitor plasmas are about to become more expensive, even if they are modular. The legislation speaks of potential for DVI. Unfortunately they are not into the technology enough to realise the difference between proffessional DVI and consumer HDCP compliance, so that's Pioneer MXE too.

6. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Martin,

YOU WERE RIGHT

:smashin: :D :D

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i dont understand..... a pc only projector imported gets taxed less than one which is targeted for home cinema, why is the opposite true for plasma?

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The legislation is misguided. They should be targeting HDCP compliant panels, but have gone for ths shotgun approach. It's what we joined the EC for.

9. Fishbones

Fishbones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In Portugal, the plasma I recently ordered from the UK costs 1000GBP more than the best quote offered here. So I ask myself:
    -- What has the EC have to do with it?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Nothing yet! This is forthcoming, 1st May. I think I already said that. Yes this is rip off britain. I don't know who's doing the ripping, it's tough to make £50 on a £2500 item as a retailer.