1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Panny 42 Issues?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by RemotecUK, Jun 22, 2004.

1. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Ive finally got my PWD42 on the wall and am very very pleased with it :thumbsup: . However I have noticed a couple of problems that I wonder if anyone can shed some light on.

Firstly, when I first set it up I put on the Fast and Furious and I noticed in the black areas at the top/bottom of the screen (outside of the image) some green dots. Only small and only noticable when I go to say within 1ft of the screen.

Am I right in saying that this could be interference? I took down the screen on saturday and reorganised the wires behind it in the wall and it seems to have dissapeared.

Secondly, I watched Master and Commander over the weekend. One some of the scenes in the fog and when the sunlight comes out of the clouds I noticed what I could only describe as dithering. A bit like when you get an image on the PC and reduce the colours - some of the graduation disappears and you get sort of blocks of colour.

I had a quick look at the review of M&C and it spoke about "digital artefacts". Could this be what I saw or is it an issue with my set up?

For info, im feeding the screen component signal in progressive scan from a Sony DVPNS930V.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The green dots are a "feature" on this model. YOu should be able to minimise their appearence by calibrating brigthness and contrast with something like AVIA, DVE etc. but they will always be slightly present...

I think the dithering is the plasma trying it's best to show the detail as best as it can...

JJ

3. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information. The green dots are not to much of a problem as I dont sit that close to the screen. I have to admit however I hadnt heard of that but its unlikely it would have affected my choice of screen.

How would you describe digital artefacts? I must admit the "dithering" isnt what I expected. For info is there any screen that handles this better?

4. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I think what you're seeing is colour banding. That happens when you get gradations of colour on plasma screens. I had a panny 6 and noticed it on there. I don't know if there's anything that can be done about it.

5. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I had really, really bad green dots on mine when viewing blacks. Re-seated the component input board and everything is fine and no visible green dots.

6. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I only get green dots when viewing R1 dvd's with the player in ntsc mode, unless I turn the brightness WAY down. Stick in a R2 dvd or watch sky though and blacks are totally solid with no hint of dancing greenies, even up close.

7. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point - I think the DVD in question is R1.

I'll check it again at weekend when I get home.

8. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yeah give that a go. I have my HK2550 set to pal60 for all films and it keeps a uniform brightness between all discs which in turn gives me my nice blacks. Having said that your sony might not have the same higher brightness for R1 that my player has! Still, worth a shot!

9. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I checked at the weekend and the green dots appear to be affecting images on all inputs - DVD via component and TV via S-Video. Its not to much of a problem and only appears on dark colours.

- Does this affect all Plasma's or just the Panny 6's?

- I heard that there is a dynamic mode?? Can anyone shed light on what this does and where to set it?

- Reading another thread on this subject it appears the green dots are the display trying to show really dark colours such as blacks. Questions is the black would look blacker if it didnt display green dots at all so does anyone know why it does it?

10. dacres

dacres
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two weeks ago I saw and TWEAK my first plasma at a friend home. Sony 32Ts2.
    Green dots at black areas of DVD playback. Casualty but changing DVD screen source format from 16:9 to 4:3 letterbox the picture looks Ok without compresion nor green dots.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hello all

Green Dots are a reduced by adjusting various video levels in the Service menu - and keep in mind the display has individual memories for each input signal; so yes you may see green dots on PAL and not NTSC from the same DVD player.

The PWD6 can be more prone to colour banding than some other SD displays and like all displays it has to work its socks off when displaying what are relatively low bit rate MPEG 2 signals from even the very best SD DVD player and disc's - throw an HD (720P) source at your display to see what t can do!!!!

Not all DVD discs are created equal - have a look in Wide Screen Review and the like and you'll see movies get rated for Transfer quality as well as cinematography and content.

If you want to optimise your display start with a visual set up using AVIA or DVE via your DVD player and if your keen to ensure your getting the very best out of it there are Two ISF Engineers who advertise there services on this Forum.

Best regards

Joe

12. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I too found that no discs are created equal!
    Some look so razorsharp as if the pic is carved in stone (About Schmidt, LotR to name a few), some look downright fuzzy.
    I never saw artefacts on my Panny nor any other gruesome horrifics.
    Barend

13. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    RemotecUK

Joe's advice is spot on. I use Master and Commander,chapter4, as my No 1 demo disk to show customers what can be ahieved with ISF calibration - and I didn't pay Joe a penny for the plug!!

Piers
    www.homecinemaengineering.com