Possible no connection between V+ box and TV with SCART

Peter Lanky

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just had a new V+ box installed. With my old Virgin box, when I switched it on, the TV immediately switched to the Virgin box output, but with the V+ box this doesn't happen.

My settings on V+ are set for "TV to recognise V+ box (SCART)" as ON.

However, I tried disconnecting my HDMI cable, and immediately lost the picture, telling me that there is no connectivity via the SCART. It is the same SCART cable as I was using with my old box, but no problems there. Is there something in the settings that the installation engineer and myself have both overlooked?

Hi

It appears you have a HDTV connected by HDMI at 720p or 1080i? You then pull out the HDMI cable and the screen goes blank. What however do you expect to happen?
The V+ box has to be switched into or out of HDMI mode. When in HDMI mode the TV scart is not active. Why do you even have a scart cable from the V+ to the TV? When the engineer installs a V+ he needs to use the scart connection initially to set the system up. He then switches over to HDMI and should then remove the scart connection as it is redundant.

It should however be possible to set your TV to default to the V+HDMI input at switch on.

Last edited:
It is possible to connect the V+ box to your TV via SCART, but you'd need to change the display settings to enable this. There is no reason why you should want to use SCART rather than HDMI. HDMI output gives you access to the HD output of the V+ box and SCART cannot handle the HD signals. If you want HD then you need to use HDMI. The V+ box cannot output both HDMI and analogue signals via its TV SCART output at the same time, neither is the RF output active while HDMI is in use. The VCR SCART remains active on the box, but as already explained, its output will be SD and not HD.

The best picture and audio is obtained via the HDMI output of the V+ box and it is preferable to use HDMI rather than the inferior SCART output.

I do not know the technical implications of having both a SCART and HDMI connected between by V+ box and TV, hence the need to ask the question. The installing engineer left the SCART connected, therefore I assumed he knows more than I do, and assume there must be some purpose. Maybe he left it there for some unknown contractual obligation.

I have since redone my experiment and found that if the V+ box is set to 'none HD' output, there is indeed communication from the SCART to the TV (I had overlooked the need to change the TV input from HDMI1 to AV1) and the TV will recognise the V+ box when it is turned on.

However, I fail understand why technology should take a step backwards, and that the TV should not recognise the V+ box via the HDMI lead, therefore assume that there is a setting somewhere on the + box to sort this out.

I have the same problem with my tv and V+ box, unfortunately in my case the tv auto switching to v+ box when both turned on is a feature of the scart connection only, perhaps yours is the same, check your tv manual. The only auto setting in the v+ plus box is also for scart only.

However, I fail understand why technology should take a step backwards, and that the TV should not recognise the V+ box via the HDMI lead, therefore assume that there is a setting somewhere on the + box to sort this out.

This is not a fault of the V+ box but that of a setting on your TV . My TV a Panasonic switches automatically to the HDMI from the V+ box at switch on. If the V+ box is not switched on then it defaults to HDMI2 which is my Sony HDD DVDR.

Have a good look at the manual for your TV for switch on default preferences.

You are right the engineer should have removed the scart connection to the TV after installation.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom