Possible new Metroid coming to WiiU?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by Captain Ron, May 24, 2017.

1. Captain Ron

Captain Ron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    Lots of rumours floating around about a possible new Metroid announcement at E3 from Retro Games. Whilst it almost certainly will be on the Switch (if the rumours turn out to be true) I am thinking it's not entirely implausible that a WiiU release of it may come too. I am thinking this because it's been an awful long time since Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze which was Retro's last game so it's highly likely that any new Metroid will have started in development for WiiU initially. It would also make sense from a sales POV as they could do a BOTW and release on two consoles simultaneously. What think y'all?

2. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +792
    None whatsoever, the Wii U is dead as far Nintendo is concerned and any 1st/2nd party games will only come to the Switch. BOTW only came to the Wii U due to it being on display prior to the Switch announcement and would have been pretty bad of the big N to then cancel the WiiU release.

3. cmdrmarc

cmdrmarc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +978
  4. Daft Ada

Daft Ada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,698
    No chance! BotW and Twilight Princess only came out on dual hardware because they'd been promised to hit the older consoles for so long. There hasn't even been a hint of a rumour of a new Metroid for Wii U.

5. Captain Ron

Captain Ron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    I'm just theorising based on the amount of time that exists between when Tropical Freeze was finished and Retro received their Switch dev kit. I also remember Retro's comments about the WiiU being underrated performance wise and that they found it surprisingly powerful from their coding perspective. I suppose it's possible that they were just storyboarding and working the concepts and not actually doing any coding for a new Metroid before they got their Switch dev kits but it strikes me as unlikely.

6. cmdrmarc

cmdrmarc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +978
    Oh there is every chance they've had it in development for a while, but as they haven't made any announcement (unlike Zelda BOTW) they have no need to release on Wii U. It would be a waste of development time, and would reduce sales on the Switch. Compared to the Wii, the number of Wii U owners is tiny so it doesn't make any commercial sense to do a dual format release.