Possible Malware on Android Phone - Help / Advice please.

Barrovian

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, looking for some advice on behalf of my niece.
She has an android based phone, and over the weekend it became apparent that her Facebook and Instagram accounts have been compromised, with strange posts and messages purporting to have come from her. Despite changing her password, and setting up a three factor id on FB, he FB account has been compromised again this afternoon after a weekend of notifications from FB that someone is trying to log into her account elsewhere. She does not log in anywhere else other than her phone, so I'm thinking somehow, some malware has got itself embedded in her phone. She does let her 6year old access the phone and he has been downloading games to the phone. I'm wondering if he has inadvertently downloaded something. My niece has had the stern talk from Uncle about letting her 6 year old loose with her phone, but my main concern is her online banking. If she loses control of that she's in deep doo doo. I'm an Apple mam myself, so I'm not to sure what to advise her to do. My thoughts are that she should back up her photos to something like Google Drive to make sure they are safe, then do a factory reset on the phone. Am I right in thinking that, like iOS, a factory reset would wipe her phone clean, remove any nasties, and let her start as new? Or is there something else we can try.
Many thanks in advance.

Factory reset should be fine.
Which phone is it?
Also a list of apps on the phone at the moment may help identify which app is the problem.
Many apps have "dodgy" adverts on them just so they can steal your info.

Thanks @Treboeth Which phone? I asked that, answer: a Samsung something or other:rolleyes::) I'll try and get a list of apps, but you've sort of confirmed what I thought. I think her son has downloaded something he shouldn't have. I think I'll recommend she does a factory reset, then keep it away from her boy.

Could even be a fake version of a legit game/app that has been downloaded.

three factor id on FB
What were the additional authentication she added to her account? Text code to her phone?
Best to also check she hasn’t been sim hijacked (call her on her number to check it is her answering the call, & not to someone else).

What were the additional authentication she added to her account? Text code to her phone?
Best to also check she hasn’t been sim hijacked (call her on her number to check it is her answering the call, & not to someone else).
I've got to be honest, I don't know what the additional security measures are. She lives 20 odd miles away so our discussions re: this have been on the phone. But I have called her number and she answered, Sim hijacked? I didn't even know that was a 'thing':eek:

Yeah it’s a thing unfortunately.
Basically they can try to get your phone number assigned to another SIM card via a bit of social engineering to your mobile provider.

With your phone number assigned to their phone they can then receive all the authentication codes etc & bypass any 2 factor authentication you have on eg your bank accounts etc

Yeah it’s a thing unfortunately.
Basically they can try to get your phone number assigned to another SIM card via a bit of social engineering to your mobile provider.

With your phone number assigned to their phone they can then receive all the authentication codes etc & bypass any 2 factor authentication you have on eg your bank accounts etc
Well, hopefully that's not the case in this instance as she answered. But you mention banking apps, and that's what bothers me most for her.:blush: But thanks everyone for the advice:smashin:

@Barrovian if her phone is her only access to the internet and banking etc,maybe she would be better buying her son a phone/tablet and keeping her phone away from him.
If he has his own phone/tablet it can either connect to the home broadband or use her phone as a hot spot for internet access when needed.
6 year old he should be outside playing football or something.
Remember that "jumpers for goalposts" :laugh:

@Treboeth, I agree. At 6, I don’t think he should be using the phone unsupervised. But they can’t afford to buy him one of his own, hence the situation she finds herself in now. I think good old soft touch Uncle Barrovian might have to put his hand in his pocket and buy one for him. I’m assuming, like iOS, you can use an android phone without a sim and just use wifi to connect?

Yes they can be used on WiFi only.
Have a look on the Classified section on here there's usually a decent bargain to be had.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom