1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible LG defect ? What to do ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Daipac, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    OK, I have got the LG on the wall now and it is looking great ! BUT, one thing I have noticed is that there seems to be a very small black 'speck' behind the glass. It seems like there is some dirt behind the glass

What would you do ? Do I ask for a replacement ?

2. zorg

zorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does it look like a dead pixel?

if its a bit of dirt then i doubt lg or a retailer would entertain you.

:(

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'd hve thought your ground was a lot more solid if it was dirt. Dead pixels are notoriously difficult to get replaced. If a bit of dirt has been built in to a screen it should be replaced no problem.

4. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my screen replaced because it had fingerprints on the inside of the glass so you should have a word with your retailer. It all depends on how much it bothers you. If it spoils your viewing, try and get them to sort it out.

Bigfatsi

5. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It is definitely NOT a dead pixel. It looks like a small speck of dirt on the inside of the screen. When I am viewing dark images it is fine but on light images you can see it and it looks like a very small black dot.

Unsure what to do because apart from that I am incredibly happy with it !

6. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    id take it off the wall mate and bring it back get another one and put it back up,
    ok it may take u a day to get off wall, repack go shop get new one n put it up but a daysbetter than around 3 years of being annoyed by such a lil thing that shouldnt be there and is no direct fault of the plasma itself ie pic quality etc.
    as maw said uv prob got more chance gettin a replacement with dirt behind the screen than a duff pixel,well untill they put in the manuals that dirt is a design feature and is tollerable unless u have more than a bucket and spade full ;)

7. zorg

zorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you ware glasses make sure the dirt is not inside of the lense also tipex might get rid of it?

:D

8. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    LOL @ zorg ! Cheers for that ! Luckily, I don't wear glasses.

I will talk to John Lewis tomorrow and they can come and deliver a new one and pick up the old one when they do.

9. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well........ I phoned John Lewis yesterday and to be fair, they were FANTASTIC !

:smashin:

I told them what was wrong and the woman on the phone said that it wasn't a problem and that a new one would be reserved for me as a replacement. She said she would phone me back in the afternoon to organise a time as she had to speak to the delivery guys. True to her words, in the afternoon she phoned me and said that a new one would be delivered on Friday ! EXCELLENT !

Top marks to John Lewis so far tho for customer service !

:thumbsup:

All I have to do now is take it off the wall and pack up the screen. Any ideas how I can pack the box up and secure it so that the bottom doesn't fall out of it when you pick it up ? It was held together with those white straps when I had it but of course they had to be cut to open it. It will be difficult to take away without securing the box properly ?

10. LEEMJONES

LEEMJONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    just say to delivery guys ' be careful mate bottom of box comes away when you lift it' then concentrate on getting new tv on wall ready for the big swicth on, dont forget to let it warm to room temp though!

PS Check firmware mine is 5.18 and I had it few weeks now.

11. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yeah, no worries mate. I will let them sort it out. I am sure they have picked up returns before.

The one I have now is 5.13 and I had it last week. As long as the picture is good then I am happy.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If they've got any sense they will turn up with nylon straps to put around the box. Pioneer screens are the same, the straps live in my land rover for this reason.

13. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345

maw i now think your very cool! into ur av, got the knowledge and drive a landy ;)
    good man!

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Regrettably nothing cool about my LR, it's a V8 with a gas conversion and a knackered exhaust. It's totally full of cable boxes, tools, and widgets that make ordinary folks glaze over. I have to clear it out to get a plasma in.