1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible ISCAN ULTRA problem's

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dazzer123, Jun 18, 2003.

1. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi wondering if you could help me just purchased an iscan ultra to run with my toshiba 42pw16, and there is a big Improvement in picture quality, i also purchase a JS Tech rgb to Yuv converter in order to hook my bits upto the Iscan.

I have two problems one expected and another that was not the first one being a lip sync issue no surprise there, but the next one does concern me, every minute or so when viewing pictures processed by the i scan there is a definite stutter in the picture like if somebody walk's in to a room it is like they are walking in in slow motion.

It is almost as though i am seeing every frame being processed which i see as a bit of a problem, question is, is this a setting on the Iscan that i have missed or could it be a faulty unit that i maybe need to return.

Also does anybody yet know of a cheaper option than a Denon 3803 to deal with the lip sync issue as i am quite happy with my amp and dont really want to spend close on to another grand to deal with this problem thanks.

2. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine does the same.
    im sure its a proccesing issue.
    when there's movement within an image the iscan is having to earn it money and work harder.
    therefore we experience frame drop offs.

basically this is what we get for our money at the moment.

on the whole it does a great job, so long as you can put up with occasional stutter.

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    During it's four field deinterlace process the iScan Ultra determines not only which portions of an image are in motion, but also what type of movement it is, and how best to generate a progressive image with maximum picture detail and minimum motion artifacts.

I have seen what you are discussing, but I find it's areas of a frame with lots of movement, not the whole frame. I think that it could be something to do with motion artefact removal -- i.e. it looks smooth and lovely picture but is in "slow motion", rather than fast moving and artefacted.

Now, this doesn't happen with my Arcam FMJ DV27+ that uses the same chipset, and I haven't heard anyone with a CenterStage Scaler complain either (same chipset too). Therefore it could be a setting on iScan Ultra.

Perhaps it's worth dropping an email to them?

StooMonster

4. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good point stoomonster.

i have the same chip in my denon DVD player and havn't noticed the problem there.

Dazzer123--
    i supply the unit with component
    and output using the VGA port. (using vga to YUV breakout cable)