Possible HTPC?

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Lleyton, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Lleyton

Lleyton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Hi,

I am currently using my old PC but it is a bit too loud and taking too much space so thinking of building a new HTPC and will obviously be used for streaming Movies & TV shows both online and from home server.

Looking at a i3 Sandy Bridge in a silverstone GD05 case but have a question, looking at a few H77 motherboards most only seem to have 1 or 2 headers for fans ... how would i be able have 4 fans installed as i will be installing a Blu Ray drive in the ODD bay so no option for a fan controller there.

Also what sort of motherboard would be best for an i3 (matx)?

Currently have

Corsair 520 mod PSU
    Xonar Sound Card (PCI)
    HD6570 GFX card.
    SSD
    (No extra drives needed)

2. Habanos

Habanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I built a HTPC around the GD05 with a Celeron G530 and nVidia GT430 and only connected the left front and right rear fans (along with the CPU heatsink fan) and have no issues with temperature.

If you did need the third case fan running (which is unlikely with a Sandy Bridge Celeron, Pentium or Core i3), you could power it from the PSU with a suitable adapter, or use a splitter on the fan cable (you'd lose RPM monitoring on both fans in this case, but speed control should work). The fans included with the GD05 are surprisingly good too, much better than the things Antec have bundled with their supposed "quiet" cases.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  3. Lleyton

Lleyton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    My bedroom is 1 of the small box rooms and gets very hot so i was planning on installing the Corsair H60 cooler on 1 of the left fans and the other left fan as an exit fan blowing air out of the case. 1 intake fan on the right side of the case. I will be replacing the stock fans with my Akasa Vipers.

Wouldn't connecting the fan direct to the PSU mean it will be running at full speed? ... will try 1 of those splitter cables on my main PC and see if i can set the speed low enough for 2 fans.

thanks for the reply.

4. tony_park

tony_park

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    You can buy little fan controllers from somewhere like quietpc.co.uk, which you can control the actual speed of the fan. Alternatively, some fans come with resistors to reduce the speed (noctua for example)

5. Lleyton

Lleyton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144

thanks for the heads up, i think i have a couple of those PCI fan controllers in my spares box so they should do. Also noticed the resistor cables, may order 1 to see what the noise levels are like as 12v down to 5v makes a fair difference.

thanks for the reply.

Also can someone confirm the Corsair H60 coolers will fit in the Silverstone GD05 case? ... i see that the heatsink is about 30mm in height but not sure if the radiator will fit in.

6. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    The cooling in the GD05 case is designed for all the fans to suck cool air into the case and exhaust out the back. The case comes with an adapter cable that allows you to connect all 3 fans to a spare 4 pin molex on the psu, you can mod the cable so the fans run at 5volts. For efficient cooling all fans need to run at the same speed.

If you go with an Intel Sandybridge or better still an Ivy bridge CPU then the stock cooler and fan work very well and the fan is extremely quiet.

I like ASRock motherboards, the H77M is a great board IMO. Is your HD6570 passive cooled or does it have a fan? I would also not use a psu over 400watts, in fact my psu is only 300watts and has plenty of power to spare, the higher wattage the psu the less efficient it will be at low wattages.

David

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  7. Lleyton

Lleyton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    thanks for the great advice David, the GPU is passive cooled and PSU is a Corsair 520w. I would change but i've not long had this PSU so don't really want to change unless i have to plus it is modular so will help with less cable clutter.

Hows this look?

Silverstone GD05B
    Core i3 3220T Ivy Bridge M CPU (OEM)
    Asus P8H77-MLE
    8GB Corsair Vengeance Low profile RAM
    Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B CPU Cooler

8. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Personally I would get a retail version of the CPU to get the HSF included and save money by not getting the scythe. I also wouldn't bother with the T version CPU either because if the ivy bridge power consumption is as good as the sandy bridge then it is not required.

I don't know the spec of the ram you have chosen but make sure it is on the approved memory list for the motherboard.

I notice you have listed a sound card, for htpc use this is not needed as the motherboard or gpu will handle the sound for you.

BTW I have used the onboard igpu's on Intel boards and it works well for htpc purposes however the 6570 is a better gpu and one that I use in my AMD HTPC.

David

9. Lleyton

Lleyton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    OEM is personal preference mate, i don't like the clips on the Intel HSF and can never install them :laugh::blush: ... plus i would rather go with an aftermarket cooler as like i say my bedroom gets very hot especially this time of year. The T version is the cheapest on Scans site hence that model.

Looks like i will be using the onboard sound as i don't think the soundcard comes with a low profile bracket and don't plan on replacing it if people say the onboard is as good.

I will be ordering in a couple of weeks so hopefully i won't run in to any problems as this will be my first build from scratch.

10. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Have you got one? If so, have you tried different options? I'm sure mine came with all of them as exhaust fans, which I assumed was how they were meant to be.

11. Lleyton

Lleyton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    i don't have mine yet but looking on the Silverstone site all the fans included with the case are setup to intake air.

I'm thinking of having the left fan set to intake air and the other 2 as exhaust fans.

12. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I do indeed own a Silverstone GD05 as well as an ML03 both are excellent cases. As Lleyton has already stated Silverstone recommends the fans are used as intakes as per the design. If yours came configured as exhaust fans then either there was a mistake made in assembly at the factory or someone has had the case open before you and turned them around.

David

13. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    You can do that if you want to but why tamper with the case design? My case keeps an AMD AthlonII and an HD6570 GPU nice and cool with the fans configured as intakes, I have also modded them to run at 5volts so they are at less than half speed and silent.

David