1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible htpc your opinions please .

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by neilios, Aug 16, 2005.

1. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,329
    What do you think of this spec for a htpc
    Any advice appreciated .
    AMD Athlon 64 4000+ Socket 939 (San Diego 90mn core)
    Asus A8N Deluxe SLi ready motherboard
    Asus GeForce 7800 GTX 256Mb DDR TV-out, PCi Express, SLi Ready
    1Gb PC3200 400MHz CL2.5 DDR RAM (1Gb Dual channel kit from Twinmos)
    160GB 7200rpm ATA150 SERIAL Maxtor Hard drive with 8Mb buffer
    PIONEER DVD±RW 16x4x16x4x IDE DVR-109
    Onboard 8 Channel sound
    10/100/1000 Ethernet network port
    1.4mb Floppy Drive
    Thermaltake 560w W0023R Xaser Silent Power Supply
    8 USB Ports 2.0 (USB 1.1 compatible)
    IEEE 1394 Firewire
    Thermaltake SOPRANO VB1000SNS Silver case

Possibly swapping the case for this one
    Thermaltake VB2000SNS Tenor Case Silver

I'll be using it for hd stuff and dvd,s ,music ,games ,i have a creative platinum soundcard at home already so i can bang that in aswell .
    :)

2. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    forget the floppy drive get a multimedia card reader instead. And look at the Athlon 3800+X2 rather than the 4000. Your power supply seems a bit large which could make life noisier than need be. Athlons are not nearly as bad as Pentium 4, although you do have a 7800. You might need the PSU if you go SLI, and add many more hard drives.Also 160GB seems a bit piddly for your hard drive given the amount you are spending on the rest. :D

Cheers

Rajiv

3. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which CPU fan are you going for? I was speccing a socket 939 board but struggled to find a decent, quiet CPU cooler for it so specced another socket type. Also, I've just built a HTPC with the tenor case and if the MB is ATX (as against microATX) then you'll need some deft planning to make sure everything fits. I used two Seagate drives (my preference over maxtor) and although there are two possible positions for hard drives, one was compromised by the fan on my graphic card (it not only takes up another PCI slot but is almost as wide/long as the MB) and the other fouls the main PSU socket on the edge of the board. I got them in but it required some slight modification and they are in two different positions.

On the other hand, the Tenor is great to look at with it's double curved facia (I got black to match my Denon AV amp) but the most astonishing thing is the two blue lights that project two tear drop shapes onto the front of the machine and the floor beneath it. I have absolutely no idea what they are there for apart from looking cool and very blue. Thumbs up for the Tenor at just over £50.

Cheers,
    Jon

4. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,329
    Yeah sounds like a good idea to use the x2 chip cheaper too for that particular model .As for the cpu cooler i was going to use the one of the thermaltake fans k8 silent boost .
    The hard drive is a bit small but i have 2 in my other computer and i planned to take the 200gb one out and use that ,maybe i should stop being a tight git and buy a bigger one lol. :D

Whats got me started is when i got my plasma, i took my comp downstairs and played some ts files :D ,and wm9hd ,bearing in mind its a amd 2200 ,1gb ram and a crappy msi 440 graphics card .It played the ts files ok but stutter rapped its way through the more intensive wm9hd files :nono: :thumbsdow ,so its 3 or 4 yrs old now and time for another comp ,i told the wife our daughter could have my old one for school work :D .She doesn't want a big box in the room so i might do it in the tenor case but then again i might not lol. :D

5. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    look its entirely up to you, but the 7800 is not cheap - are you sure its what you need. I say this as your plasma won't have that much resolution that you need such a powerful card. Only the most powerful games running at hi-res (1600x1200) really need it. I find it useful to look at the VGA charts at tomshardware. There you can see what framerates are possible. Over 30 frames is a bit wasted and many games cap the framerate when running normally rather than in benchmark mode. For example I have a Pioneer 502 at 1280x768 and so a 9800XT is good enough with most things. Yeah I'll upgrade eventually but I'd rather pay £100 now and then £100 in 2 years than £400 as the card will still only last 4 years. But that's me being a tight git. If I had a 1600x1200 display I would behave differently.

Cheers

Rajiv

6. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    You could always go for an X800 XL, there like £230, but it's up to you what you get , afterall your the one going to be using it, not us....

7. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Well I went for the 7800GTX due to the Purevideo, HD and upscaling abilities it features, but I agree if you only have a SD Plasma, then the HD capabilities would be wasted, one thing to note the Asus NF4 SLI Mainboards are noted as having extremely loud chipset fans, a colleague has one and has replaced the fan with a passive cooler, I myself went for the MSI K8N Diamond SLI as it includes 24bit Sound Blaster Live chip incl. Dolby and 7.1 SS, a combined Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Card with external antennae, expensive board but it has every feature currently available included.

8. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    The Gigabyte fanless 6600GT 128mb (AGP or PCI-E) is popular on this forum, with the nvidia dvd decoder - PureVideo works and DVD's and hi-def material looks very nice on my PW7 Panny... they are about £120. Also I played HL2 at 1024 x 576 with it on the plasma, ran nice and smooth and looked very cool!

lisa

9. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    You should give Far Cry a try, looks even better then Half Life 2...

10. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,329
    That msi motherboard actually sounds quite good and well specced ,i have an hd hitachi plasma ,if i remember rightly i ran the ts files in 1280x1024 and altered the clock frequencies to get it to fit on the screen ,it was bit fiddly but it looked quite good .
    Anyways thanks for the excellent advice so far :smashin:

11. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The AN8 is a good board i have 2 has quite good overclocking options though the processors your looking at should be plenty fast enough anyway, personally i would never buy top end pc kit myself i went for the 6600gt for graphics and a 3000+ processor the MB let me overclock to speed faster than a 3500 using stock cooling the 6600 gt overclocks not to bad too

12. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,515
    Get a bigger HDD, depends if you're gonna rip DVD's to the PC or not....might be worth using 3 x 300gb in RAID.

13. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,329
    Yeah i do need to sort the hdd size out especially if blueyonder go to 10mb soon hehe :D

14. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,329
    Just had a look in device manager and my graphics card is a nvidia mmx 420 :eek:
    ,how old is that ,not quite as old as my old mans ms dos :eek: compaq comp sat in the corner for relic value lol.

15. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Have Far Cry on my 32" LCD @ 1366 x768 with AA & AF maxed out and all the eye candy settings at the highest, the 7800GTX can just about handle it without dropping frames, words cannot describe how magnificent Far cry looks, why wait for an XBOX 360 or playstation 3 for HD gaming us PC gamers have had HD gaming for years.

16. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    You have to post a screen shot of it, look for the best scene you can find in the game and hit "Print Screen", then paste in in "Paint" and save it as bitmap, it will be a few Mb/s in size, PM me if you need a place to host it...