Possible HDR Timeframe

d10brp

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just did a bit of googling and noticed this:

Champions ed Europa League in esclusiva su Sky

Suggests that Sky Italia will broadcast Champions League games in HDR on Sky Q from 2018. Hopefully this means we will soon see HDR for the UK version of Sky Q.

I've not heard anything conclusive, everything Sky HDR related I've heard up to now has been wild rumours. Here they are actually committing to broadcasting HDR in Italy

Presumably it will be HLG rather than HDR ?

That's what I was thinking as HLG is more likely to get adopted for live broadcasts.

One is propitiatory in nature, the other not and is free. The market is undecided which way they will go until the standard has been ratified. In my opinion neither BTs YouView or SKy Qs Silver will offer HDR in their first generation format until such has been decided. I know for a fact YouView won't. I don't know about Sky Q, but it would be highly doubtful, as these times are currently very formative.

Developed by the BBC and NHK. I agree. But not for this first generation AV, as its just too early.

Last edited:
Ratification is required. Then SKY, Virgin and YouView will move, but not before.

Just for your information did you read the link ? Nobody claimed HDR was happening tomorrow but Sky have clearly stated when they'll start in Italy.

Last edited:
2 years in my opinion and they won't be the first to it either, in my opinion. The BBC will beat them to it.

And that affects users in the UK how? Basically not.
Sky develops products/services to roll out across it's entire European footprint do you seriously think it will introduce HDR in Italy and leave it's largest market the UK behind ?

As for who will be first broadcaster to roll out HDR that wasn't the point the OP was making and frankly who cares. The point is Sky as a business have now put down a timeframe for HDR no more no less.

Aren't they rolling out Sky over Internet across Europe? So different hardware, potentially?
If it is, it'll have a lot in common with the Q over internet being launched in the UK too. I'd expect them all to use basically the same hardware & core software platform as the current Q box. Makes a lot of sense for Sky - single platform to develop & test for.

Sky develops products/services to roll out across it's entire European footprint do you seriously think it will introduce HDR in Italy and leave it's largest market the UK behind ?
No, I don't. That is actually a ludicrous suggestion.

In Germany/Austria Sky upgraded the Sky+ box for UHD, rather than using Q.

In Germany/Austria Sky upgraded the Sky+ box for UHD, rather than using Q.
True, but as a majority of Sky subscribers in those two countries are on cable it would make sense to upgrade the current boxes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom