Answered Possible Graphic Card Gone and What Card To Replace It?

Garrett

Earlier this afternoon was half way though a game of Diablo 3 wne the computer locked up and started a buzzing noise and then it start again and got the screen freezing and the buzzing again. I have to restart the computer and when I tried again the title screen was corrupt and the computer locked up, so had to reboot again.
I then took my graphics card out cleaned the dust and re setted it and not long after getting into windows got lots of corruption across the screen with like small circles with arrows under them.
I rebooted again and Windows failed and the had to click on retry which put me into 800X600 mode and checking on the card info there not one showing.
Is it the graphics card that's gone and if so can anyone recommend something up to £150 that would fit in the present cards slot?
I'm not a frames per second freak and dont play graphic intensive game and more or less played World of Warcraft, Rift and Diablo 3 for the last couple of years.

Present Card was GEFORCE GTX 760
MB Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP
CPU i5 4670 S1150
Case NSXT Switch 810

Thanks in advance for useful advice/information Garrett

Garrett

Just tried removing the card and resetting it and on getting into Windows I was back at full res tried starting a game and screen greyed out with the spinning circle so had to re boot and Im back to 800X600.

super-twisted

It does sound like an issue with the card. Is the fan on the GPU still working? They can clog with dust and refuse to spin. If it is you might want to consider a repaste if you are happy to remove the heatsink.

Failing that, £150 puts you in Radeon RX5500XT or GTX1650Super territory. Either are probably overkill for the games you've mentioned and should see you through 1080P High settings on my current titles.

kav

Distinguished Member
Maybe I'm wrong but I think you need to do a bit more troubleshooting to verify it's your card and not the motherboard that's gone. I would try booting without your card, see what happens, and also try booting with your card in your other PCI slot (or even another PC if you have access to one). It might help you narrow down whether it's the card or the mobo. Would be a shame to fork out for a card without confirming it's definitely the source of the problem.

maf1970

I see your board comes with integrated graphics so I would remove the GTX 760 card for just now and also uninstall the drivers for it. You are looking to force it back to integrated graphics for just now.
Check the card over carefully and check slots on board, it has 2.(but obviously not while on.)
Try the card again in the main graphics card slot, does it recognise it in Device Manager ?
If not try the secondary graphics slot, does it appear in device manager ?

If neither slot recognises the card then its gone and needs replaced.
If the secondary slot recognises it then your primary grphics slot is faulty.

Failing that, £150 puts you in Radeon RX5500XT or GTX1650Super territory.

Is correct but if you don't want to fork out that sort of money check out CEX for something second-hand. I have bought stuff several times now and never been disappointed.

Garrett

It does sound like an issue with the card. Is the fan on the GPU still working? They can clog with dust and refuse to spin. If it is you might want to consider a repaste if you are happy to remove the heatsink.

Failing that, £150 puts you in Radeon RX5500XT or GTX1650Super territory. Either are probably overkill for the games you've mentioned and should see you through 1080P High settings on my current titles.
Yes the fans are OK and I clean out the slots so no dust in the and fans are spinning.
BTW switched off since last post and left a bit come back switched on and booted into 1680X1050

BTW really want £150 to be my spending cap both them seem quite a bit over my top price point.

Garrett

Looked into the graphic card whilst it seems to be working without loading it with games and got into the details and got an error message
There is a problem with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 device. For more information, search for 'graphics device driver error code 14'

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Could possibly be your PSU. How old is it?

Garrett

Garrett

Could possibly be your PSU. How old is it?
Could try the bottom two sockets on the right as I'm using the top two at present?

Also I got error code 43 now anyone think its developed some driver fault?
Seasonic back.jpg

super-twisted

Also I got error code 43 now anyone think its developed some driver fault?

it’s possible. You could try uninstalling the current Nvidia drivers and then use DDU to clear out any residual files and registry entries.
Then reinstall a fresh copy of the drivers.

Garrett

it’s possible. You could try uninstalling the current Nvidia drivers and then use DDU to clear out any residual files and registry entries.
Then reinstall a fresh copy of the drivers.
Been to a couple of sited for it but says Address Bar which Im not keen on it, know if its an minor adjustmnet?
DDU.jpg

Garrett

Well no luck so far.
I Moved the Graphic Card in the MB slot I also uninstalled my drivers for it albeit not the DDU as it said it would alter my address bar setting but may have done something as when I rebooted and installed my drivers all my favorites in Internet Explorer were rearrange.
Anyway it booted in to 600X800 before I loaded the drivers then rebooted and now in 1680X1050 bot when I go to the device manager the driver still flagged with a triangle and a ! in it and under General
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

BTW I was looking at graphics cars round £150 and they all seem to only be of the similar graphic capability as mine and if I need to buy a new one maye have to pay a bit more to make it slightly more future proof although the present one no problems with the games Im playing.
Some I was looking at are GTX 1050 Ti, GTX 1060 and RX580

BTW is a Graphic Card better to run of the PSU directly rather than through the MB.

I'v also noticed on some of the cards are dropping the DVI port Im sure my monitor does not have a HDMI slot, is there cables that sit in one and convert to the other HDMI to DVI.

Last edited:

AlpsUk

Well no luck so far.
I Moved the Graphic Card in the MB slot I also uninstalled my drivers for it albeit not the DDU as it said it would alter my address bar setting but may have done something as when I rebooted and installed my drivers all my favorites in Internet Explorer were rearrange.
Anyway it booted in to 600X800 before I loaded the drivers then rebooted and now in 1680X1050 bot when I go to the device manager the driver still flagged with a triangle and a ! in it and under General
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

BTW I was looking at graphics cars round £150 and they all seem to only be of the similar graphic capability as mine and if I need to buy a new one maye have to pay a bit more to make it slightly more future proof although the present one no problems with the games Im playing.
Some I was looking at are GTX 1050 Ti, GTX 1060 and RX580

BTW is a Graphic Card better to run of the PSU directly rather than through the MB.

I'v also noticed on some of the cards are dropping the DVI port Im sure my monitor does not have a HDMI slot, is there cables that sit in one and convert to the other HDMI to DVI.
Only the less power hungry cards will run from the motherboard only. Most cards will need external power connectors connecting to the psu.

Garrett

AlpsUk

Quite tempting, on most things beats mine, only drops a few frames compared with mine on all things WOW.

BTW if my graphic card not being recognised how come the lead from it to the monitor is giving me a display. :confused:
Could possibly only be partially functioning with basic display.

Do you have a spare hard drive where you can try to install a clean version of windows onto just to discount drivers/software issue?

Garrett

Do you have a spare hard drive where you can try to install a clean version of windows onto just to discount drivers/software issue?
Have a free SSD 120 card and have a Win 7 disc know if the code for the Win 7 is the same one to upgrade it to Win 10?

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Seen plenty of reports that the win 7 keys have worked. Just have to give it a go. You don’t have to activate win 10 straight away anyway. Keys can also be had for less than a tenner.

Garrett

Had an old HD with no card installed but had windows and was grtting though to the destop, I installed the driver for the card and soon as I tried to alter the display setting it crashed and could never get back to the desktop and only option viable for it was wipe all my aps and setting and re start from new.

Garrett

If you didnt want to spend a fortune then you could look at something like this

Sapphire Radeon RX 470 NITRO OC Graphics Card, 4GB GDDR5, DVI-D, HDMI, DP | eBay
Sent for it thought I have a go at that price and Im always years behind with games so old cheap cards are OK I think the GTX 760 was pretty new when I bought it and was one of the most expensive card I bought but the old card was bottlenecking in Rift when a PvP event was on with about 60 players on screen at the same time and got a new MB and CPU at the same time.

Garrett

If you didnt want to spend a fortune then you could look at something like this

Sapphire Radeon RX 470 NITRO OC Graphics Card, 4GB GDDR5, DVI-D, HDMI, DP | eBay
Looked and got a tracking number for DPD but on there site no info but it came 30 min ago, not fitting it yet I always allow at least 1 hour when stuff comes in from outside to get to get to room temperature.
And although says no installation disc on the web site it does come with one, although my CD been acting up saying needs administrator to run and yet went into setting and allowed everything to run without admin.
I Have a unused SSD I may have to do a totally clean instal but that SSD a WD Green one which I heard can run slow.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 20th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
PSB announces M4U 8 MKII wireless headphone