Possible dBpowerAMP/iTunes conflict??

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by Empgamer, Sep 12, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Empgamer

Empgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    A while back I posted this thread regarding major problems I had encountered with CD Playback from iTunes:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613838

I had opted to use dBpowerAMP Reference (DBPA) as my ripping software and I experienced some problems after I'd been toying with a number of players (MediaMonkey and Foobar etc). The problem was when playing a CD directly back through iTunes. Not something I usually do but I use iTunes to load the songs I rip to FLAC and then convert to MP 3 Lame with DBPA.

I noticed one day that when I played a CD direct through iTunes the playback speed was slow, the track sounded echoey and full of clicks and loads of interference. As MediaMonkey had crashed on me a few days before, causing a major blue screen lock-up, I put it down to that. Despite uninstall and re-install of iTunes etc nothing I could do removed the problem and, while I don't play back through iTunes, I didn't want the cause of this problem to be messing up something somewhere else. Ultimately I had to do a 'System Restore' to a time before ANY of these rippers/players were installed. The problem then sorted itself. Since then I have only loaded DBPA. Taking it step at a time I installed DBPA, loaded in the codecs I use, ripped a few CDs, each time checking the CD playback of iTunes and it was working fine.

Last night however the problem arose again. Clearly it is not MediaMonkey or Foobar. While it may not be the cause of the problem, I noticed it after DBPA couldn't identify a few tracks from an album at first. I double clicked the track inadvertently and it started to play back from the CD through DBPA wrong with the same problems that iTunes had, but worse. Windows Media Player plays the whole album fine. On selecting iTunes the CD playback was 'broken' again.

Now I'm still not sure whether it is DBPA that has caused this but nothing else on the PC has changed. All was working fine, including iTunes and CD playback after ripping with DBPA but it SEEMS that since inadvertently playing back through DBPA something has gone wrong. Not being too sure of the relationship with the various pieces of software, the PC and codecs etc I'm wondering if:

a) On playing back with DBPA a codec or software relationsnhip has been created which doesn't work and with which iTunes is not compatible?

b) Whether the problem had crept in before and I just didn't notice it?

c) Whether I could fix by changing codecs or settings somewhere?

d) Whether there is something I need to set in DBPA which might prevent or fix this?

It may or may not be DBPA, it may be my PC but unless I can fix this I may have to resign myself to unistalling DBPA and using another ripping and converting software as I'm not really happy that this problem is arising. If I have to fix again by a system restore I doubt I'll load DBPA again as, after time, other programmes wil be installed after it and I can't be bothered to keep re-installing.

I'd like to fix this if I could because while Im quite happy using EAC I do like the album art/embedding capability of DBPA and, while I know I could do this with yet another programme, I have to say that ripping and filing music to me is a real chore and something I want to get over and done with ASAP. DBPA does the lot, inlcuding converting from FLAC to MP3 and sorting the filing without the need for another 8 pieces of software and another 8 tasks to do. I suppose I could just live with it and just never try playing CD through iTunes but somehow the PC has developed a problem and Im not sure what affect that problem might have on other apps in the future so I think it best to fix it. If it is DBPA and hitting playback I don't realy want to risk the fact that I might mistakenly do it again and encounter the same problem. It's a ******* nuisance though!!!

Any comments/thoughts appreciated.

2. Empgamer

Empgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well STILL not sure it's dBPowerAMP. I got the system back to the last known setup with DBPA and all codecs installed. I hit PLAY on DBPA and it was fine :confused:

It's certainly not Media Monkey or Foobar that causes this glitch as they are not even installed. Something, somewhere seems to trigger it though and the PC don't get used for much else.

Only thing I wonder is whether it's after Converter has been used to turn the FLACs into MP3. I can see me having to try this every day and keep a list of all that get's done on the PC to identify the trigger. Seems mighty odd, all seems to work fine then at SOME stage something screws playback in both iTunes and DBPA but NOT WMP :confused:

Might just be one of those PC things that I'll never get to the bottom of.

3. Empgamer

Empgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hmmmm. It has been suggested that after doing an ultra secure rip of one or two CDs, the drive MAY have defaulted to PIO mode. I'll check this out tomorrow. I wonder though if:

A system restore could have been able t fix this (as it did)

Whether Foobar and WMP shoud still be working (as they were - or at least Foobar was the last tim this happened).

4. Empgamer

Empgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Finally bottomed this out :clap: I have a Dell XPS 600 with XP Home (Media Centre) and was/am using dBpowerAMP Reference to rip (and grab album art as part of the process and convret theh to AAC).

The 'problem' occurred again last night after I ripped a bunch of CDs. Everything went well until the a fairly new, and visibly undamaged, CD had difficulties being read. I had to re-rip one track using ultra-secure and even then it indicated it was re-ripping several frames. After that, CD would not play and, upon checking the primary IDE/ATAPI under Device Manager it had been knocked down from UDMA2 to PIO mode. Now this, apparently, is a feature of Windows XP that SP2 was supposed to fix - aparently not!! MS has fix for it which I plan to run and which will hopefully fix everything. Dell also has as PIOtoDMA.exe fix which I am also examining.

This may well be a problem which others are well familiar with but it's certainly a feature of XP/Windows that I was unaware of! I'm glad I eventually got to the bottom of it and it certainly seems there are no software conficts with the various players/rippers as I originally thought.

One thing I MAY try is ripping the same track/CD with EAC after PIO/UDMA has been reset, just to see if only dBpowerAMP:

a) Has the same problem reading the CD
    b) Causes the PIO knockdown in the same way if/when it does.

If EAC doesn't cause the problems I may well revert to that and put up with the hassle of art grabbing/embedding. I do like dBpowerAMP for it's interface and multi-task capability though

5. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,515
    Ah yes, had that with a friends PC once. Totally forgot about it sorry, glad you sorted it though :)