1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible creditcard fraud - WARNING!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by captaineyecatch, Jul 21, 2004.

1. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Edit
    NOTE - It is not just dvdpacific customers but other places aswell. Many people who have had this problem were not and have never been customers of Dvdpacific.

This was posted on the dvdforums.
    A lot of people has had an amount of $39.99 withdrawn yesterday via their VISA cards - one person has just had an additional $75 withdrawn today. All have been customers at Dvdpacific and it seems a major creditcard breach has happened there. So far people from Denmark, Norway, Australia, Finland, Germany and USA has been hit has had the amount withdrawn- all seems to be Dvdpacific customers. Make sure you check your account!
    More details....
    animeondvd forum thread USA site with amny UK users.
    http://forums.animeondvd.com/showfl...&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1
    dvdforums thread (may need to register)
    http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305568
    Australia forum thread.....(need to register to read)
    http://www.dvdplaza.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=29194

Norwegian forum thread
    http://www.dvdarkivet.no/forum/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=6927&forum=5&start=0

2. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    wow! :eek:
    thanks for the heads up. not good news at all :thumbsdow i haven't actually bought anything from them myself, but it does serve very well a reminder of what can happen...be on your guard members
    shame
    monsieurblack

3. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I ordered from there just last week: will be checking my card keenly.

Thanks to you, sir. If anyone's worried about such things you should bear in mind that your credit card should cover against instances of fraud such as this. Mine does. Barclaycard and Egg etc (I'm fairly certain) protect against internet fraud.

They should be able, at the very least, to chargeback to the source of the transaction.

Regards,
    anephric

4. chris110

chris110
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Havent ordered from them for a few months but thanks for the info all looks a bit fishy at the moment.

5. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Very worrying. :( I have outstanding orders with them, and have ordered loads from them in the past. It will be a real pain of I have to change my credit card, as I also have orders outstanding elsewhere. I have e-mailed them, asking them to clarify the position, as a matter of urgency.

This is one of the potential problems with companies that store credit card details, and I will be seriously considering whether I want to continue using them, if this turns out to be a drama, unless they change their set up, so as not to store card details.

6. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Yes, I far prefer sites that use Worldpay etc. I don't like having my CC details stored here there and everywhere (particularly sites that make it a condition of your joining); also particularly because I've worked at a mail-order firm where customer financial security was a joke.

I didn't consider that I'd have to change my card no: whenever I've had "odd" transactions I've just informed my card issuer and they've sorted it. Maybe I should really do that...

7. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The danger is that if a fraudster gets hold of your card details, there's nothing stopping them repeatedly charging your card, unless you change it. If you just ask for a re-issue, the fraudster then only has to guess the new 'Valid To' date, which isn't too difficult.

8. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    nothing untoward's gone on with my credit card so far :rolleyes:

9. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Placed an order last week, which has been charged OK - but if you do use internet retailers you should always make regular checks on you account. Wouldn't dream of using an account the didn't allow me internet access to monitor transactions. More importantly, if you use suppliers infrequently and they hold details perhaps you should change the card number or put alphas in the number, until you use the company again. Most allow you to manage your own details.

Paul

10. Ger

Ger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
  11. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    It actually isn't hard to get hold of credit card numbers: until only recently if you were a legitimate company you could send off for lists (from the CC issuers) of credit card numbers to use for authorising purposes, etc. One of the biggest CC scams in history was pulled off in this way (with each number only being charged a couple of dollars so that the owner was unlikely to notice/care).

The idea of changing your CC number in between orders and filling with Alphas etc is actually a really, really good one. I've never thought of that. Jolly good idea, sir! Unfortunately with some types of e-commerce software (old versions of actinic) multiple copies would be made of your account details, so that even if you changed the CC details in your account online, they'd still be the correct CC details in past order history etc available offline to the retailer (and hence thief).

Dodgy as ****.

12. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I e-mailed DVD Pacific with my concerns, and this was their reply. I should mention that the forum they refer to is not AV Forums:

Hi Simon,

We are aware of this and our IT department have been actively investigating. It has been determined that our system was not hacked externally and latest update posted last night to a DVD forum is below for your reference.

A further update for everyone.

Firstly I would like to thank the owners/moderators of this forum allowing us to post the information that we have to date. I wanted to write to you directly but was unable to locate exactly where I could do that and your forum has become a center for information to all and filtering through from here to other forums. So again thank you.

We have now almost exhausted our efforts to locate who is behind these fraudulent transactions and unfortunately I can report that the number of countries it involves has widened. What we have discovered though is that it appears much more elaborate than we initially realized and involves more people than just customers of DVD Pacific. With that knowledge we have now lodged a formal complaint with the FBI's Internet Fraud Complaint Center (www.ifccfbi.gov/) and obviously there resources far outreach what we have available to us and we now entrust them to continue this investigation.

The whole scam does appear to be a "not for profit" venture and for those of you that have expressed reservations concerning Lip Inc. and that they are the beneficiaries here I would at this time state that this is not the case and they truly are victims also.

My direct advice for now would be to carefully monitor your incoming credit card transactions and report anything suspicious immediately to your card issuer.

Obviously this has made us look long and hard at our own security and the only "flaw" we located was that we had card numbers visible to customers when logged into there account. If your browser was hijacked then this could lead to a problem so we have "masked" card numbers now. Many of you have shown though that you are very diligent in maintaining your own personal security on line with having software running regularly to alert you to these types of attacks so we feel that combined with the numerous different operating platforms and browsers involved with those that suffered fraudulent charges was not at issue here.

Lastly I would genuinely like to thank on behalf of all of us at DVD Pacific those that took time to e-mail in with details we requested and many of you also expressed support for us at that same time. It was sincerely appreciated.

Regards,

Brad S.

DVD Pacific Inc.
    IT Management

Am I the only one who doesn't quite understand that? Is it just their customers or not? :confused:

13. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I just asked for further clarification, as to whether it was just DVD Pacific customers who have been victims, or if it was merely a co-incidence that they also just happened to be DVD Pacific account holders, and got this reply:

Hi Simon,

You have read correctly. We have since this started heard from people who are not DVD Pacific customers and have also been subjected to the same fraudulent charges processed through Lip Inc. and we have been unsuccessful in locating where the information may have been leaked from and hence reported to IFCC.

Regards,

James S.

I wonder if it's worth giving them a link to this thread, to see if they want to respond - Mods / Admin, would that be OK?

14. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not my decision - I will refer this thread to Spectre...

15. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,408
    Yeah if you want to tell DVD Pacific about this thread, that's fine.

16. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    If its happened with other sites it would suggest that they have been phishing or using trojans etc to get hold of accounts/passwords. DVDpacific only now has changed there system to hide your CC card details... so they could have got it that way. If DVDpacific had been hacked then you would expect lots more ppl reporting fraudulent charges

My tips also include :

Use a hardware and software firewall
    Use Firefox or some other non IE browser
    Don't every fill in details/use links from emails regarding sorting out account details etc etc

Matt

17. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's always my first recommendation for anyone having phishing / virus / spyware problems.

18. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I haven't touched IE for over a year (apart from getting Windows Updates). I am an Admin on a PC forum, and we get loads of people with lists of spyware as long as your arm, and 99% of them are IE users.

[​IMG]

19. ilovedts

ilovedts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if this affects any other DVD retailer sites?

20. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    If you use IE, try installing Ad-Aware from Lavasoft as well: it's free and picks up most spyware/exploits/data miners etc (as long as you keep the definitions up to date).

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

21. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes, Ad Aware, in conjunction with Spybot and Spyware Blaster should keep you reasonably clean. If you suspect your browser has been hijacked, you can run a thing called Hijack This, which will give you a detailed list of running processes, but you do need a little bit of experience to interpret the results. Most PC forums allow you to post HTJ logs, and they will sift through them for you.

Ad Aware
    Spybot S&D
    Spyware Blaster
    CoolWeb Shredder

22. sleepwalker

sleepwalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd let you know that there are ppl who are not members at DVDPacific and had money withdrawn. Also if the person/persons behind this used the security hole on DVDPacific (you could see you creditcard number in your account), then it must mean they have your login/password. If they did this just to mess with ppl (why use multiple cards to buy liecenses to a program?) why didn't they just order loads of DVDs?

23. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes it does seem is not just relating to dvdpacific - I will alter the thread.
    Could a Mod please alter the Title of the thread - Thanks.

24. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also recommend Pest Patrol which goes far deeper than either Spyware Blaster and Spybot, ( i use all 3 ) you would be amazed at the amount of sites you can visit out there which stick spyware on your computer, they should pass some sort of law forbidding it.

25. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Done :smashin:

26. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you Credit Card does get ripped off- do Credit Card compaines have to give you all of the amount back? I remember reading somewhere that you only get £50 back or something!

How secure are Play.com, PlayUSA and Cd wow?

27. chris110

chris110
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it depends on the bank. Sometimes you are only protected on certain amounts or sometimes you only get a % back. Most of the time though you are able to get it all back.

28. sleepwalker

sleepwalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done two chargebacks for two Paypal transactions. Luckily for me I was able to get back all of it, this wouldn't have been possible if I had not used my VISA card. So I wouldn't worry about not getting all the money back.

29. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I had a fraudulent transaction on my Halifax Visa for over £200, originated from Latvia, and I got it all back. It also depends if you have card protection insurance, I think.

30. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Never heard of any problems with them at all - also they do not hold your credit card details on their system which was the problem with DVDPacific I think.