Possible cheap lip sync solution (for non lip sync equipped AV amps)

peskywinnets

Novice Member
Ok, so this won't be a solution for *everyone*, bit it should solve the problem for those who are feeding analogue stereo audio into the home theatre amp (such as Sky).....

http://www.behringer.com/FEX800/index.cfm?lang=ENG

...it sells for about £30 (NEW!). One of it's features is digital delay...I'm having difficulty establishing the maximum delay achievable (the figure is not in the owners manual), but I'd imagine it'll certainly be at least what the present offerings are on those Amps that have lip sync built in as a feature (normally circa 100-220ms)

Therefore.....

Sky box 'stereo analogue out' -> behringer stereo audio in

then ....

behringer stereo audio out -> AV amp stereo audio in (analogue)

You could even say watch sky on digital optical under normal condition, but when you observe bad lip sync probs (which I only see on recorded music based content), switch over to analogue on you AV amp & adjust the Behringer to suit.

Might not be the tidiest all encompassing solution, but for £30, it'll certainly sort out a lot of problems.

Nexsen

Novice Member
peskywinnets said:
Ok, so this won't be a solution for *everyone*, bit it should solve the problem for those who are feeding analogue stereo audio into the home theatre amp (such as Sky).....

http://www.behringer.com/FEX800/index.cfm?lang=ENG

...it sells for about £30 (NEW!). One of it's features is digital delay...I'm having difficulty establishing the maximum delay achievable (the figure is not in the owners manual), but I'd imagine it'll certainly be at least what the present offerings are on those Amps that have lip sync built in as a feature (normally circa 100-220ms)

Therefore.....

Sky box 'stereo analogue out' -> behringer stereo audio in

then ....

behringer stereo audio out -> AV amp stereo audio in (analogue)

You could even say watch sky on digital optical under normal condition, but when you observe bad lip sync probs (which I only see on recorded music based content), switch over to analogue on you AV amp & adjust the Behringer to suit.

Might not be the tidiest all encompassing solution, but for £30, it'll certainly sort out a lot of problems.
I followed that link for the analog delay and after reading the manual I do not see any indication that model Behringer will allow just a simple delay of the audio. It appears to only combine a "slight" delay with the original signal to create a reverb or echo effect.

So, unless the manual is wrong or my reading of the manual is flawed that particular model would NOT solve a lip-sync problem.

There are other Behringer models that will work for analog delay, however. I have personally used their single channel DSP110 (sold as a feedback eliminator but it has an excellent delay function) that WILL work for lip-sync correction. You would need two for stereo and it is a good bit more expensive but it definitely works. The downside is of course "button pressing" as opposed to remote control and you won't realize how often you will need to change the delay setting to keep lip-sync correct until you start doing it. It is definitely not a "set and forget" parameter which is why most a/v receivers that claim such a feature don't actually work.

peskywinnets

Novice Member
I answered you on the other thread (on the amp/processor forum), but for those who don't read that forum, here's my reply......

If you look on the front of the unit, there's a knob marked dry/wet....turn this knob in full so the box's output signal is 100% wet (no original...just processed - in this case delayed).

In this scenario, all you are going to get is the *delayed* audio signal (no original)....the manual sucks, but all effects boxes have this option!

So it will work (& probably give you a whole lot more delay capability than even the likes of the Felston).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom