Possible Buyers Regret - Need some help understanding refresh rates - BenQ 2050A

Defling

Novice Member
I recently bought a BenQ 2050A projector for my living room. I bought it refurbished at around $600 USD with taxes (budget was $800) . My original use case was around 50% movie and Chromecast usage and 50% single player or co-op gaming (no multiplayer, I'll save that for a monitor). However, now that I have it, I am noticing that the ratio is closer to 30% movies to 70% gaming. Everything looks fine so I shouldn't complain but I have one concern.

I am used to playing in front of a 144hz 1080p monitor. I know the projector won't be directly comparable to the monitor but I'm worried there were better options for me at the same price point based off some stats . I am not well versed in all of the stats so I could be completely misunderstanding a lot of this.

I notice that the 2050A is a 1080p projector at 60hz refresh rate (this is displayed in the top right when I start it up). However, the spec sheet says the vertical scan rate is 120hz, which I thought was comparable to refresh rate. Do DLP projectors' refresh rates work similarly to monitors or am I just misunderstanding something (I tried Googling but couldn't find very good sources on the topic that dumbed this down enough for me).

I see some 1080p projectors that advertise 120hz refresh rates like the TH685 and the Optima 1080HDR available in the same price points. These two projectors also offer really good response times so I'm a bit confused why the 2050A is rated so highly (on a lot of top 10 gaming projector lists) if the other projectors offer similar response times with better refresh rates at the same resolution. Is there some other stat that makes these projectors less desirable like color accuracy? I know the TH685 is brand new so its not been well vetted, but why isn't the Optima 1080HDR considered a superior projector, especially for gaming on some of these lists? I find it hard to keep up with all the new models and price points so please let me know if something would have been way better at my 800 dollar budget.

Overall, I'm just confused on what matters the most for the gaming side of the projector and am worried I made a mistake on my purchase. Everything seems great so far so any peace of mind or explanations/suggestions would be great. Thanks for any help :)

PS: This is my first projector purchase so I'm probably worried for nothing.

noob0101

I recently bought a BenQ 2050A projector for my living room. I bought it refurbished at around $600 USD with taxes (budget was $800) . My original use case was around 50% movie and Chromecast usage and 50% single player or co-op gaming (no multiplayer, I'll save that for a monitor). However, now that I have it, I am noticing that the ratio is closer to 30% movies to 70% gaming. Everything looks fine so I shouldn't complain but I have one concern.

I am used to playing in front of a 144hz 1080p monitor. I know the projector won't be directly comparable to the monitor but I'm worried there were better options for me at the same price point based off some stats . I am not well versed in all of the stats so I could be completely misunderstanding a lot of this.

I notice that the 2050A is a 1080p projector at 60hz refresh rate (this is displayed in the top right when I start it up). However, the spec sheet says the vertical scan rate is 120hz, which I thought was comparable to refresh rate. Do DLP projectors' refresh rates work similarly to monitors or am I just misunderstanding something (I tried Googling but couldn't find very good sources on the topic that dumbed this down enough for me).

I see some 1080p projectors that advertise 120hz refresh rates like the TH685 and the Optima 1080HDR available in the same price points. These two projectors also offer really good response times so I'm a bit confused why the 2050A is rated so highly (on a lot of top 10 gaming projector lists) if the other projectors offer similar response times with better refresh rates at the same resolution. Is there some other stat that makes these projectors less desirable like color accuracy? I know the TH685 is brand new so its not been well vetted, but why isn't the Optima 1080HDR considered a superior projector, especially for gaming on some of these lists? I find it hard to keep up with all the new models and price points so please let me know if something would have been way better at my 800 dollar budget.

Overall, I'm just confused on what matters the most for the gaming side of the projector and am worried I made a mistake on my purchase. Everything seems great so far so any peace of mind or explanations/suggestions would be great. Thanks for any help :)

PS: This is my first projector purchase so I'm probably worried for nothing.

The 2050A is bright, has nice colors and has 16ms lag. It can be a good projector for games and movies. It can only do 60Hz.

Projectors with lower lag (~8ms) and higher refresh rates (120Hz) exist, but they will not be as color accurate as the 2050A.

These would be:
Optoma GT1080HDR
GT1080
HD27HDR and it's upgrade HD28HDR
HD39HDR
and two new laser versions:
GT1090HDR
ZH39HDR

Benq TH685
TH585

Some of these models can accept a 4K signal.
You should check the throw ratio to see if it fits with the current mount, unless the position of the mount can be changed.

In 4K territory, the only model that can do over 60Hz is the Optoma UHD50x:
4K 60Hz - 25.8ms
1440P 60Hz - 23.8ms
1080P 60Hz - 23.8ms
1080P 120Hz - 18.2ms
1080P 240Hz - 15.7ms

Other 4K DLP have higher lag.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom