1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible bogus sky warrenty call?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by alan, Aug 16, 2002.

1. alan

alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About 20 minutes ago I had a phone call from a woman who claimed to be from sky.She advised me that my warranty was about to run out and I will now have to pay the 60 pounds call out charge if the digibox broke.
    My warrenty ran out about 2 or 3 years ago I remember it being in October and I remember getting a call from sky then about extending my warranty.
    I told her I was not interested and hung up.
    The whole thing just seems a bit off....I have never had a phone call from sky from someone who was not Scottish she had a London accent,the script she was using didnt sound like a sky call and she sounded very flustered...oh and she asked for a Mrs alan which is a bit strange as im not married.I tried 1471 on the phone but the number was withheld.
    Anyone else get a call like this or I am getting paranoid??
    Also this has highlighted the fact im not sure how to spell warranty!

2. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Alan,

I had a Sky salesman on the phone asking whether I'd like three years service on my new Box for £90.

I said I thought it was covered for the first year. He said only the Box

I think maybe Sky have realised that a there's money in extended warranties and want to cash in. You can't buy anthing these days without a salesperson try to get you to buy them.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I believe the extended warranties are sold/promoted by a third party company acting in association with SKY.
    That way you will get an insurance policy that covers the cost of any repair/replacment.
    When you consider SKY will send an engineer out for £60 which covers all the costs of any repair I would not take out an extended warranty on SKY hardware.
    Since you would also be dealing with SKY directly for any repair then you have a much more solid claim on subscription credit/refunds than if you went with a third party warranty.

4. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had several calls from Sky within the last few months, making the same offer. (my year's warranty is almost up) The first one was very rude, and after I said I wasn't interested, shot back with "Why not?" Needless to say, I won't be so courteous with their next offer.

Course, I also had a call asking if I wanted to sign up to Sky World, no more than 3 days after I had downgraded my subscription from it. So, the calls are probably pretty much random.

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi alan.

I too had a similar phone call a few months ago and like you I was left uneasy as to how genuine it was!!

I was asked the question "do you have sky digital". Now if the call had been from sky or even an agent working for sky then they should have allready have had that information.

I would advise never accept a deal over the phone even if you would like it. Contact Sky yourself then you know it's genuine..

6. MarkNordhoff

MarkNordhoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will Sky give an extended warranty if you ring them up??? My digibox has just developed a fault, so I may pursue this option!!!:confused:

7. richie44

richie44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The phone calls everyone are getting regarding extended warranties are from a company called 'Domestic and General'