Possible Black Bar Fix On Movies

vloothuis

Standard Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you have tried this once you have converted your movie and placed it On your PSP. If you get the black bars and you cant be bothered to mess around with the settings in PSP Video 9 or similar, Press triangle on your PSP with the movie playing, then navigate to the display section and you can zoom in. Of course it skews the image slightly and depending on the movie it may look fine. Try it.

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong, But if you have the black bars on the screen the size of the movie is actually smaller??? So you can get more movies on your card..

What ratio have people been using in PSP video 9? Everyone wants best quality, Full screen and smallest size and not forgetting the sounds cranked up!!!

Any suggestions or comments?

I had a bash at converting the attack sequence from Pearl Harbour and it automatically ripped the 2.35 image and it displays as such when i changed the screen settings so that was good.

I also converted a 2.35 avi file using a different setting but that came out stretched vertically, so everyone is tall and thin.

I haven't really played with the software properly yet to work it all out.

For me though, i'm happy to have the image in all its widescreen glory although i have to say i'm happy with the re-formatted image on the Spidey UMD.

Hi,

I have the numbers for cropping specific video sizes if anyone is interested. Some people in the know may say that the resolutions are not correct, I dont know, but they work for me. Calculated using Ar1z's 'Aspect Ratio Calculator'.

In PSP video 9 you can use the following to crop various ratio movies to 1.85 - 16:9 (using a profile with 368x208):
Movies encoded at 1.70: Set crop - top by 10px and the bottom by 8px (or the other way round if you prefer)
Movies encoded at 1.90: Set crop - left and right by 16 pixels each side.
Movies encoded at 2.35: Set crop - left and right by 72 pixels each side.

Cheers,
Z.
www.the-psp.co.uk

Interesting

What does 1.70, 1.90 and 2.35 mean?

Excuse my utter stupidity
I always thought about the crop, but haven't tried

Hi,

They are aspect ratios other than 1.85 (16:9). A video with a long cinema view (not one that fills the screen of a widescreen tv/PSP - thats 16:9 or 1.85) with the big black borders top and bottom is normally 2.35. When played in 1.5 firmware the video gets stretched up and down which is why I thought about cropping a divx/xvid movie. I have a couple of other movies that have been encoded at 1.70 and 1.90 ratios.

If you get hold of a program called gspot you can find out what aspect ratio etc a video file has.

Cheers,
z.

cheers :)

16x9 is 1.77:1 not 1.85:1 which is a standard super35 aspect ratio.

Other standard aspect ratios are:
1.33:1 (4x3)
1.66:1 (academy but can also be super35)
1.77:1 (16x9)
1.85:1 (super35)
2.35:1 (super35)
2.40:1 cinemascope/panavision (often incorrectly referred to as 2.35:1)

Sorry I meant to write 1.78:1 not 1.85:1 in the post above.

Aspect ratios are a funny thing, just done some more reading and it seems 1.85:1 is the standard widescreen ratio for cinemas, and 1.78:1 is the widescreen ratio for UK and US widescreen TVs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16:9

I assume the PSP uses 1.78:1 for films to fill the screen properly. Gspot recognises a widescreen AVI as 1.85 (and states 16:9) and the aspect ratio calculatior I have returns the same pixel size when trying to find the pixel size the film should be when converting to 16:9.

Quite confusing really!

zoidy said:
In PSP video 9 you can use the following to crop various ratio movies to 1.85 - 16:9 (using a profile with 368x208):
Movies encoded at 1.70: Set crop - top by 10px and the bottom by 8px (or the other way round if you prefer)
Movies encoded at 1.90: Set crop - left and right by 16 pixels each side.
Movies encoded at 2.35: Set crop - left and right by 72 pixels each side.

Zoid, I tried the above copping with a chapter from Star Wars 3 and it cropped the sides, but the PSP still stretched the image horizontally to fit the width of the screen (I went through all the zoom options and nothing helped) so that the image on the screen still has black bars top and bottom (normal size for a 2.35 film), but te image is stretched horizontally. Any ideas?

Hi Ger,

What firmware do you have on your PSP? That may be the cause, although it shouldn't matter if the video is definately converted to 16:9. Does the video appear as 16:9 when you view it via Quickime 7 or do you still have black borders at the top and bottom?

I have just tried to convert EpIII from DVD to Divx (to 2.35 ratio) but I cannot get rid of the black bars at the top and bottom, got further tests to do.

Cheers,
Z.

Zoidy, yeah it has the bars top and bottom in quicktime too. I encoded at 368x208 with the aspect ratio set to 1:1. Should this be 16:9??

Firmware is 2.5. I will keep playing around until I find out what's going wrong!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom