Possible 32ZP48 problem

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by dpluxor, Feb 14, 2005.

1. dpluxor

dpluxor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Hope someone can help, I have only had my new TV about 3 weeks and putting all its good points to one side for a moment, I have noticed something I am not too happy with.

If there is anything on the screen that involves vertical lines (i.e. boxes from onscreen menus or score grids etc.) then they are either curved or sloping. The amount of curve or slope usually alters with the amount of brightness on the picture behind. A typical example is the sky banner (upon pressing Select), the sides of the banner which have a white/blue/white format appear like so...

If the background picture is bright, it improves slightly, if its dark it gets much worse. Sometimes vertical lines are actually totally wobbly and not just a smooth curve, i.e. ....

)
    |
    (
    )
    |

TV is connected to XS32 via component (mid range quality cable), Sky is connected to XS32 via Scart on RGB (mid range quality cable)

Dont know if I should be reporting this as an out-of-spec TV or whether is 'just one of those things'

Thanks

David

2. Moksha

Moksha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try reading: (Panasonic TV - my straight lines are all curvy) it may throw some light on your problem..

3. dpluxor

dpluxor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, by the way does anyone know how to get into the service menu on the 32zp48, forgive me if its mentioned in the manual, I'm at work and dont have it to hand.

David

4. Chezzy Blade

Chezzy Blade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DPLUXOR,
    I have the same set -- and the same problem. I have returned one set already for geometry probs but the replacement is even worse. I bought it through Digital Direct. I wanted an engineer to adjust the geometry but they said it was cheeper and better to exchange it..To be fair they have done what they said they would. The banners you refer to are the same on mine too so i will follow this thread for more advice.

5. Moksha

Moksha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Service menu is accessed by using the remote, pressing mute THEN pressing and holding mute WHILE pressing the menu button ON THE TV.

6. Monkfish

Monkfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If the vertical width is related to the brightness at that height then the TV has poor power regulation. Some of these Tosh TVs have just such a problem. I saw one that Comet was trying to fob off cheap (not that cheap either) that had totally unacceptable power regulation.

To check you should use unzoomed 14:9 or 4:3 mode so you can see the vertical edges of the image on screen (black bars each side). If the verticals undulate with picture brightness then your TV has a definite fault.

Hold on, I'll grab some snaps of my 32ZP46... brb...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notice the straight vertical edges in each case. The first image with the alternating white and blue stripes is a particularly good test for power regulation. On a poor TV the edges would undulate like a snake!

7. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    My problem is identical..i am waiting for a replacement from digital direct,due any time (expected last week :( )

I just hope thye new set isnt worse.It is alot more noticeable when i use the sky bar.
    Mine is like an hour glass ) (

And at the bottom of the right side it goes like this /
    \
    /

8. Monkfish

Monkfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, although mine has good power regulation, the geometry does go off a little toward the bottom right.

You have to be careful with little niggles because you could end up with a TV that's worse. Having said that, if you want it fixed you'd better get it done in the first year.