Possibility of fixing broken HDMI port

Ged667

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a Panasonic BluRay recorder (DME-BWT740) which I use to record films from TV and they play through my Home cinema projector. However whilst moving the unit the cable got caught and twisted in the HMDI port, now the port no longer appears to be working. I have tried several cables but I cannot get a signal from the Bluray Recorder. As I am not tech minded and have only limited experience with a soldering Iron, I'm wondering if there is a way to check the HDMI port and if it is possible to repair it without having to replace the port? To be honest I tried asking several local repair shops and nobody wishes to take on the job. I'm both an OAP and disabled and my home cinema means so much to me as I can hardly get out of my home, if anyone can suggest a possible solution I can take on my self I would be most grateful.

Hello, I have a Panasonic BluRay recorder (DME-BWT740) which I use to record films from TV and they play through my Home cinema projector. However whilst moving the unit the cable got caught and twisted in the HMDI port, now the port no longer appears to be working. I have tried several cables but I cannot get a signal from the Bluray Recorder. As I am not tech minded and have only limited experience with a soldering Iron, I'm wondering if there is a way to check the HDMI port and if it is possible to repair it without having to replace the port? To be honest I tried asking several local repair shops and nobody wishes to take on the job. I'm both an OAP and disabled and my home cinema means so much to me as I can hardly get out of my home, if anyone can suggest a possible solution I can take on my self I would be most grateful.
From what you describe happening that is accidental damage.
Do you have a home accidental damage insurance you could claim on? Many home contents insurance policies also include free accidental damage cover for home AV equipment and PCs.

I suspect the recorder is going to need a replacement HDMI port or possibly re soldering of broken wires. A Panasonic repair place may be more willing to do that than a local repair shop but it would likely charge more.

If you are able I would dismantle the player, do take notes and care to remove the parts obviously disconnected from the mains. and see what the connection looks like inside. You might see something that explains the damage. However the most likely solution will be a new board rather than a new HMDI connection these are super fine board mounted connections even the most skilled soldering iron and experienced will need luck and talent to repair. Here is a picture of a typical board mounted HDMI from above and below the board directly underneath is even more complex around the HDMI's

The pics below are from the 9000 player as an example, your soldering iron will be way wider than any of these tiny connections, so this requires skilled techniques relying on the board structure to keep the solder in the right place. You will also need a hot air SMD device to remove. I wouldn't even try to be honest.

I'd see how big the board is and see if you can get a price to repair after a good look

Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 05.49.18.png

Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 05.50.52.png

I changed the HDMI port on several Panasonic DMR-EX75 DVD players, I'm very much just an enthusiastic amateur, but do have the proper tools (SMD hot air station) to do the task. I found replacement HDMI ports on AliExpress, and they were a very good replacements, the old Panasonics work fine through HDMI now.
Whilst it is possible, I wouldn't advise taking it on unless you're prepared to risk damaging the board.

Whilst it is possible, I wouldn't advise taking it on unless you're prepared to risk damaging the board.
And have the experience to use (and money to buy) a SMD Hot Air station.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom