Possessor Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas. In two minds on this; like the idea, but not a big fan of "Buckets of Blood" Movies or Series (Unless it's "The Boys" :)).

Managed to catch this at the cinema back in the autumn, it’s a really good watch. I’ll wait for the UHD version to make it to these shores before picking it up though.

Thanks for the review Cas.

Alex Garland vibes grabbed my attention, his style over the 3 mentioned is an aesthetic I enjoy.

Andrea has a great body of work, thought she was great in National Treasure/Bloodline/The Devils Whore, only 1 ep in, but expecting great things from her in ZeroZeroZero.

Thanks Cas. In two minds on this; like the idea, but not a big fan of "Buckets of Blood" Movies or Series (Unless it's "The Boys" :)).

Yeah, it's got a LOT of blood, but if you like classic Cronenberg and quality sci-fi combined (which is often the same thing) then it's worth the endurance test. His son just clearly likes his oozing wounds and pools of blood as much as dad did.

Managed to catch this at the cinema back in the autumn, it’s a really good watch. I’ll wait for the UHD version to make it to these shores before picking it up though.

It's not going to happen in the UK unfortunately (I asked) but an import might be the best alternative? The US 4K is already out.

Good review.

Huge, HUGE fan of Cronenberg, Sr. and very pleased to say Brandon is most definitely his father's son.

I watched this last year. It was one of my favourite films of 2020. Good story, superb effects and ultraviolence that fitted the atmosphere, and fantastic acting.

I now need to hunt out Antiviral, his directorial film debut.

I'm interested in whether the UK version is cut or not, as that was a selling point for me plumping for the US release.

I'm interested in whether the UK version is cut or not, as that was a selling point for me plumping for the US release.

Certainly appears to be as it's being sold as uncut, rated 18 :)

Attachments

• Possessor_UK_BR.jpg
    Possessor_UK_BR.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 98
Good review.

Huge, HUGE fan of Cronenberg, Sr. and very pleased to say Brandon is most definitely his father's son.

I watched this last year. It was one of my favourite films of 2020. Good story, superb effects and ultraviolence that fitted the atmosphere, and fantastic acting.

I now need to hunt out Antiviral, his directorial film debut.

Antiviral is ok, it must be close to 10yrs old now and its not anywhere near as good as possessor, he has clearly evolved his skill as a director between the 2 though.

Very interested to see what he does next.

I liked this but it does feel a bit lite compared to his father's nuttery. It also sags a bit at times, in lacking tension where I assume confusion was the overhanging idea and overplays Riseborough's vacant blonde stare for any depth voiced from her lips or character build up.
However, the scenes with Bean are satisfying. When it doesn't meander; the confusion over whose who, what their goal is within the decaying madness and the final revelation of our intrepid brain hijacker, leaves it nicely open
as to her ultimately true intent or, simply too much time in the fields has led to psychosis? Leigh's Girder, though, looked orgasmic at the decision!
Apparently, 18 cert's mean having the freedom for a range of erect penises. In this, it just felt like lazy shock non-Jock moments. In that, the weak 'rebel with a vibrator' conversational excuse for they're watching all the time, supposedly excused acquiring matching curtains and carpet information in both the literal and old colloquial meaning. I was more interested in who and what 'they' were but this is never revealed. And if, supposedly, general customers are aware of big brother's roving VR company eye, then what does that mean for more underhand operations?
Oh well, I never felt like switching off and was left more wanting overall, so I suppose it worked to greater extent than not. Not exactly a rewatcher for me.

Nice to see Kaniehtiio Horn, from Letterkenny.

A few of the gents over in the other section liked this a while back. I'd forgotten all about it, then asked where it was available, and then forgot all about it again :facepalm:

I won't again now anyway, and think I'll pick up the Blu.

Thanks for the review. I’ve taken a punt on the UHD so looking forward to watching it

Watched the UHD last night (at last). Completely at a loss as to what I thought of it 🤷🏻‍♂️ I think I really enjoyed it, and it will certainly stay in the mind for a bit that’s for sure. Great PQ and the 5.1 track is very good also.

Watched the UHD last night (at last). Completely at a loss as to what I thought of it 🤷🏻‍♂️ I think I really enjoyed it, and it will certainly stay in the mind for a bit that’s for sure. Great PQ and the 5.1 track is very good also.
I know exactly what you mean, both repugnant and invigorating. If you’re looking to move the disc on, feel free to send it my way ! 😉

Very late to the party but excellent review as ever, Cas.
I loved this.
Cronenberg jnr continuing his dad's mantel.

Just a note for anyone looking for this film now; Turbine Media in Germany offer this film with Atmos and Auro3D mixes which are superb.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom