poss signal fix issues, and a prob im having

thequeenscheese

Standard Member
Hi i dont know iof this will help but a while ago i had an issue with 2 thing the first was poor signal after some time on the blower with sky they got me to move the cordless phone main base and other phones at least 4m away from the box and their was a major improvement with the signal and no more pixelation, the 2nd was when i 1st got the 1tb box as a replacement to the old amstrad i found out about anytime (roughly came out the same time) but on plugging the box into the router after a while it froze up, the second box later did the same, so for the 3rd i didnt bother plugging the router in and kept the old anytime not had an issue since...

Until now where ive had a lot of no signal errors and missed recordings not sure if its cos ive had the faceplate of the wall bcos there is a fault on the seperate phone socket, or if it is because the box is getting hot in the area where the sat cables screw into the back and they are actually fairly hot i was told by the engineer that there is not heat issues with these boxes as they have dual fans and better tech, any1 cast any light?
:lease::lease:

also on a good note for these boxes the picture (for me anyway) is 100times better to the extent that none hd looks better than hd on the old amstrad box its crisp clear as a bell, i just hope this isnt the start of a gremlin in the box..

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

logiciel

Hi and welcome to AVF.
I don't see how the phone could affect the TV picture but it worked so maybe it does.:confused:
All Sky machines do Anytime so do you actually mean Anytime Plus?
If you do want that, and it doesn't work, then it's up to Sky to fix it for you - again.
Your problem sounds like bad connections - they could make the sockets hot which they should NOT be.
Be careful when you fix them - pull the power plug from the PVR and wire the f-plugs properly, like this:
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fconn.htm.

thequeenscheese

Standard Member
hi yes i meant anytime plus, trouble is i dont want to run the risk of plugging in to the router then freezing the blox out and then forking out for an engineers visit and maybe a new box!, but maybe thats because i have a pi** poor broadband speeds of 1.5mb i will prob try it agin at some point.

having taken the rear connections out of the box and popped them back in it does seem stable but still hot in the same areas, checking the signal strenght i have very fluctuating signal strengths on 1 and 2 not as bad as when i was getting errors but still between 50% and 85% give or take, oddly what was actually happening was that i had a picture fine it was upon changing the channel and then found no signal (but it did actually record a prog yest like this and it was fine) and a off/on at the socket fired it back up all ok, while its been stable i have made sure it has been cooler by opening the drawer front and a window so at the min unsure which fix is the 1 thats working..

is it worth updating the sofware is their a reason to do so im on 47.0.16.1 , or are there any known issues at the min?

hi yes i meant anytime plus, trouble is i dont want to run the risk of plugging in to the router then freezing the blox out and then forking out for an engineers visit and maybe a new box!, but maybe thats because i have a pi** poor broadband speeds of 1.5mb i will prob try it agin at some point.

having taken the rear connections out of the box and popped them back in it does seem stable but still hot in the same areas, checking the signal strenght i have very fluctuating signal strengths on 1 and 2 not as bad as when i was getting errors but still between 50% and 85% give or take, oddly what was actually happening was that i had a picture fine it was upon changing the channel and then found no signal (but it did actually record a prog yest like this and it was fine) and a off/on at the socket fired it back up all ok, while its been stable i have made sure it has been cooler by opening the drawer front and a window so at the min unsure which fix is the 1 thats working..

is it worth updating the sofware is their a reason to do so im on 47.0.16.1 , or are there any known issues at the min?

Last edited by a moderator:

thequeenscheese

Standard Member
I can only assume that the radiowaves/frequenceys used by certain phones and bases may well cause resistance on the cables and or within the box itself?

:lesson: :confused:

logiciel

Anytime+ needs Sky's broadband and I thought that was meant to be fast enough.
The details suggest that you do need to take a good look at M P's link to signal problems.

thequeenscheese

Standard Member
the speed was only a guess as i do suffer from poor speeds in relation to most peeps (especially annoying as its a brand new estate and infinity is in the area but not for me tut), but it was a box total freeze that was the issue, and my signal seems stable for now altho it is still fluctuating down to less than a quarter at times quality is fine and does not alter bu7t the weather is poor here aswell over the last few days..

logiciel

Do you have Sky's broadband, and have you ever actually had Anytime+ working?
As it's "still hot in the same areas" do those areas include the Satellite In sockets, and what are the "the drawer front and a window" that are involved?

thequeenscheese

Standard Member
yes i had anytime+ workin until the boxes froze this box hasnt been plugged in to find out if its going to freeze or work, yes everything is with sky, the drawer and glass is a tv glass front shelf (i generally do leave it cracked but yesterday i removed the front, the hot areas are the sat in terminals hdmi and prob about a 4" sq area from back to front of the box beggining with the connectors..

(still stable with drawer shut)

yes i had anytime+ workin until the boxes froze this box hasnt been plugged in to find out if its going to freeze or work, yes everything is with sky, the drawer and glass is a tv glass front shelf (i generally do leave it cracked but yesterday i removed the front, the hot areas are the sat in terminals hdmi and prob about a 4" sq area from back to front of the box beggining with the connectors..

(still stable with drawer shut)

Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

There's definitely a problem with the Satellite In connections then, and I wouldn't want the HDMI getting hot either.
Please don't double post, and it does help others if you punctuate properly.

MartinPickering

There's definitely a problem with the Satellite In connections then.

I have to say "not necessarily". The tuners take more power than any other part of the circuit - Watts not milliwatts - and can be expected to run quite hot to the touch. That's why the Samsung Digibox, at least, turns one tuner off when it's not in use. Other models may also do so, but manage it better. (The Samsung sometimes "forgets" to turn it back on, resulting in "No Signal".)

Of course there could be a connector problem but that mostly occurs when water has come down the cable and caused corrosion, which is easy to see.

logiciel

OK - I'll modify the "definitely" but this is about a Sky machine and they don't get hot in my experience - though this one is enclosed which could be making the situation worse.

MartinPickering

I can only assume that the radiowaves/frequenceys used by certain phones and bases may well cause {interference} on the cables and or within the box itself?

Yes, wireless phones are transmitters, by definition. Therefore they can cause interference (not "resistance"). The same applies to mobile phones, wireless routers, wireless "dongles", wireless weather stations, laptops and computers and any equipment that generates interference (such as TV sets, DVD players, fluorescent lights, sodium lamps, energy-saver bulbs, mercury lamps...)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom