1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poss HK dvd2550 problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by WeirdFish, Feb 2, 2004.

1. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hmmm, watching Confidence tonight and the player turned itself off, no warning just went into standby. It turned on again via the remote but hadnt remembered where it was on the disc, it just started from scratch.

I thought I'd sat on the remote or something at first but it happened 4 times at various intervals :(

I havent had a chance to see if its only on that disc but I can't think how it can be the disc rather than the player.

Any ideas?

2. Andrew N

Andrew N
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly the same problem with the same disc with my HK25. It has never happened again with any other disc. It must be the disc

3. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cheers.

Weird huh? :confused:

Anybody else with a 25 or 2550 had probs playing Confidence?

4. WoodyAllen

WoodyAllen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Your post caught me eye because my HK2550 just arrived today (from Play). I understood the 2550 was prog scan in PAL & NTSC but the manual states NTSC only. Can you enlighten me?

Cheers

5. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    WoodyAllen

When the player was first launched, it was launched as NTSC Prog scan only, before Pal prog scan was official I think. Since Pal Prog scan became official, firmware upgrades have existed for this player.

Usually when you by from a dealer it will already be advertised as Pal PS capable. (I presume this is one of the reasons you bought this player?) If so, the firmware upgrade will have already been done by the dealer. It will normally enable MR at the same time.

In the unlikely event that the upgrade has not already been done, return the unit to the supplier if you believe it should have been. If not, you can down load it easily enough. For this do a search on this site under "DVD25 firmware" or similar, loads of info.

Finally going back to the original point, because the player was first launched as NTSC Prog scan only, that is the way the manual stayed. It may be because, as I mentioned, the firmware upgrade enables MR as well, which HK would not be party to, or it may be that they couldn't be bothered to reprint. I'd guess the later.

Cheers

Croc

6. WoodyAllen

WoodyAllen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nice one Croc; it was advertised as MR & you're right, I bought it for its PAL prog scan abilities (although I don't think with was stated in the description). Hope to hook it up tomorrow & test it out. Good to know a firmware upgrade exists; thanks for the info.

best

7. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I watched 2 films tonight with no problems so out of interest I put Confidence back on. It got 10mins into the film and sure enough it just turned off.

How bizarre is that.

I've left it playing to itself on my Tosh 220e (rigged up to the tv rather than the pj) and its been on for 40 mins no bother.

Odd :(

8. Gomez

Gomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Referring to the PPS upgrade:

It's officially available at the H/K website from now on:

http://international.harmankardon.com/products/upgrade/DVD25_Firmware/dvd25_zone2_05_02_04.zip

Here's the description (it's both for the DVD 25 and 2550):