Positioning Question and new sub!

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Asked a million times I know but thankfully it looks as my times in a 1 bed flat are nearing the end and a 3 bed detached country cottage is looming!

The gear is as per my signature so room acoustics etc shouldn't be an issue (also given the thick stone walls/floor!), however I'm contemplating the idea of something like a Monolith+ given the 'side table' option it can do.... theoretically the best place for it will be diagonally opposite the TV in the opposite corner of the room.... god knows about the rear speakers too, i'll cover that elsewhere. It won't necessarily be right in a corner but in that general direction.

Is this a really bad place - i know that bass is omni-directional so i shouldn't notice, but my sub has always been on the front axis somewhere and i'm wary of the effect on the sound..... the advantages of a big, proper sub that would be fine by the wife as it can be a table too though is very appealing!

Standard questions of sealed/ported will follow but again will have an effect on the overall question.

I need to get in quick though, before we spend all the cash on fridges and boring stuff.

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Ok, in a bid to revamp this...

Given the speakers I have and the fact that I do enjoy music a fair bit as well as films, things i'm reading are suggesting that actually the XXLS400 might be the better option. I'm actually quite taken with the older SVS PB12 /2 Plus things that were also down firing...finding one in oak is proving challenging!

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
I'll edit this post tomorrow and try help if you dont get any, I'm currently being frowned upon for beingon my phone while sat in a bar.

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
gLOL!

Thanks Moonfly - appreciate the help!

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Does your anthem amp have any eq capability on board. If so then corner placement should be fine, if not then it might work or might be boomy, you wont know till you try.

The 400 is a good sub but the svs will eat it for breakfast, so if you can hold out till you find one then i'd sa hold out, otherwise the xls 400 will do the job.

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Yup Anthem has ARC, hence I was less worried... it won't be completely in the corner, it's more the complete opposite side of the room that concerns me.

I figured as much with the SVS... i guess i'll stick with the ickle Gemini for a while longer. You reckon it's worth opting for the 400 over the Monolith based on the speakers?

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
The speakers dont really make that much difference to be honest, id probably opt for the monolith over 400, but then coming from a gemini the 400 will likely suitably impress anyway.

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Right, a bit more info now...

The attached is a rough mock up of what we are looking at, green blobs are sofas - red wall has cupboards and fireplace in.

It appears that options really are sub between the two sofas or get something like a REL that is designed to live in a corner and put it behind the TV in that corner.... I had even considered an SVS Cylinder in that corner but thing that both the cat would think it was Christmas come early and also it might block quite a bit of light coming in!!

Attachments

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom