1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Positioning of 'home cinema' speakers - how high off the ground?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Fatman, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Fatman

Fatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks. I'm about to hang speakers on the walls of my new living room. I've wired cables for centre-rear and surround left/right but for now I'm only going to use rear left/right (in addition to front centre and front L/R, of course). I'm using Wharfedale/NXT flat panel speakers as 'make do' equipment for now, but am thinking of replacing them better later on. How high off the ground should I be mounting the flat panel speakers?

2. ArsoN

ArsoN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think most people would agree that "wherever sounds best" is the ideal place, but, as far as I know, THX gives rough guidelines of "about 2-3 feet above ear level, to the sides of the listener". From what I've seen, most guidelines are fairly vague, so I guess you just have to wing it.

3. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Just above ear height would be my suggestion. Plenty of filler and a tolerant partner would be my other suggestion :D

4. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think there is loads of advice out there about this, my fronts and surround-backs are floorstanders so not much i could do with them.

My surrounds aren't floorstanders so i put them at my ear level when i'm standing (picture attached). why i put them hear was partly because of the quote from the dolby site which i've included below

Ideally, your front speakers, high-frequency drivers, or tweeters should be positioned at ear level (when you're seated). Our recommended height for the surrounds is above ear level, as soundtracks are likely to be optimized for that location.

Attached Files:

5. demonhale

demonhale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a free software for speaker placement at my site

All I need are feedbacks

6. spickee

spickee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a bit of a quandry, my centre speaker is actually on the floor and is ont a floor stander, more designed to sit on the telly.

I would have to buy or make a stand for it to go on for ideal placement.

Would it be possible to use a second centre speaker mounted above the screen at ceiling height wired in parallel or series, depending which is better for the amp to fool the ears into thinking the sound is in the middle of the screen or would this probably confuse matters further.

For me in the ideal listening position the placement is fine but for the person offcentre its not so good. Any suggestions?

7. demonhale

demonhale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could do parallel connection, best to still position it centered still...
    All you need to do to help people sitting offset you is to widen the sound stage...
    Position the left and right, rear and front speakers to point outwards... (make sure the distance from wall is a little spacious...