Positioning Of Electrical Sockets Behind A Wall Mounted Lcd - Help Please!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by LUCE1976, Sep 4, 2007.

1. LUCE1976

LUCE1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I have recently purchased a 26" LCD and appropriate VESA 200*100 fixed wall mount.

The TV will be mounted to a plasterboard wall (backing onto the airing cupboard) far away from the current aerial socket and plugs (these are on the other wall underneath a window).

I have a builder/electrician coming to hang the TV and install new sockets and he said I will need a tilt mount to allow clearance for plugs behind TV (current clearance is only 18mm from wall when mounted).

I thought I'd do some research and wanted to know whether this is the only option? Is it possible to place new sockets recessed into the wall?

I do not understand what happens with the aerial?

Basically I would love the TV to appear floating (no cables or sockets on show).

Any suggestions would be fantastic - please accept my apologies for such ignorance in these matters - I'm just a girl trying to make sure the builders telling me the right thing!!!

Thanks a lot
    Lu:thumbsup:

2. Tonks01

Tonks01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Hey Luce, do you have the TV yet? if you do, do you know if the plug is sealed? if not an option could be to surface mount the socket onto the opposite side of the wall (inside the airing cupboard) and then running the the TV cable through the wall and into that socket, the feed for the aerial could also be surface mounted down from the loft, this would be a much smaller job than chasing out the wall in the lounge and would leave the wall in the same condition you started with, Very clean.if not you could cut the plug but im not sure what this would do to a warranty.

anyway this is my first post on AVForums! im a training electrician so thought i could be of abit of help to people around here!

3. Ragged T

Ragged T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    One option may be to space the bracket of the wall with timber strips,you probably need 35mm clearance for your socket and aerial outlet,Mk logic aerial plates are angled down slightly which may help.

4. jtotheb

jtotheb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  5. louishm

louishm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    sorry if i have misread this but why wont your electrician flush the socket into the wall ?.

to give you even more space ask him to fit a switched fused spur this will take up less space as there will be no plug. As for the coax can this not come through the airing cupboard behind the tv and plug directly into the tv set