1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Positioning front left and right speakers. Please advise.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bristol Pete, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I am making some household movements in preparation for my new speakers, which forces me to ask a question.

Is there a formula to how far apart front left and right speakers should be?

I seem to recall a website stating that the distance of the two speakers (L/R) should be approx the distance you are from the screen.
    So, given that I am 3.2 metres away from my screen, I can assume that they should be 3.2 metres apart with the centre smack bang in the middle, thus forming an equidistant triangle to me.....which should also allow for some excellent front panning effects. (i.e motorbike scene on blade 2)

whaddya all think?

I realise that there are no hard and fast rules but all advice helps , especially from you guys.

Thanks in advance.

Captain Benefit.

2. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Isnt it something like, 2/3rds of how far away you are. ie if you're 3m away then 2m apart?? or am I talking arse?

Dave

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Unfortunately every living room is a compromise when it comes to positioning. Basically you are on the right track, but the distance between fronts can also be affected a bit (lot?) by the type of speaker and their sound dispersion properties. eg. KEF Uni-Q speakers are diff. to B&W, etc wth standard tweeter. Just play around with positioning and toe-in until you are satisfied/happy. Usually only 1 or 2 seats in your room will be near-perfectly positioned, with the others (for the wife and kids:devil: ) being less good. Any formula which works in one room, won't in yours; it's just a rough guide for most of us.

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    but, lets say that this is a KEF sub sat system. And there are no children. (LOL)

Set them 3.2 apart and toe them into my listening position...?