Position of Virgin router ?

advido

waiting for Virgin to install Tuesday. Sent me an email stating that router MUST be set up no further than 1.5 metres from computer ...is this correct ? Sounds silly and no good for me ....

Droid

Standard Member
Could this be because the installers only carry 1.5m cables ? :)
I have a 10m network cable from the modem to the router, then another 10m back to the pc. Had to move it as the wifi reception was rubbish with the router jammed down the side of the pc. No issues.

advido

Could this be because the installers only carry 1.5m cables ? :)
I have a 10m network cable from the modem to the router, then another 10m back to the pc. Had to move it as the wifi reception was rubbish with the router jammed down the side of the pc. No issues.

VIRGIN told me that the modem/router was an 'all in one' combined unit...is that correct ? My computers are in a different room to where the Virgin connection comes in....Definitely more than 1.5 metres.

Fe_man2000

They may be able to extend the Virgin Cable into another room or you will have to connect to the modem via wireless or fit your own connection to it using network cables.

The modem only comes with a 1.5m network cable (same as all routers really)

So you need to think about how you are going to make that connection from PC to modem or if you want them to move the location of the modem and run those think white cables into another room.

either way its cable into the router and cable or wireless out to the PC.

advido

They may be able to extend the Virgin Cable into another room or you will have to connect to the modem via wireless or fit your own connection to it using network cables.

The modem only comes with a 1.5m network cable (same as all routers really)

So you need to think about how you are going to make that connection from PC to modem or if you want them to move the location of the modem and run those think white cables into another room.

either way its cable into the router and cable or wireless out to the PC.

I've got 3 computers in my back room/office ...does your reply mesn i'm going to hsve 3 cables coming out of the router going across my front room carpet into my bavk room...if that'd so Virgin won.t br getting me as a new customer...and i definitely don't want wireless....

nickp8

Virgin will install the combined modem router wherever you want it. You should note that if there isnt a way to get the cable to the room you want externally they will run it inside along skirting board and door frames.

They will need to connect a pc or laptop to the modem during installation for the registration process and to check the connection stats. If all your pcs are in one room then get it installed in that room.

Virgin are not going to wire up your 3 pcs for you that is up to you. You can either connect them by ethernet or wireless.

Last edited:

jb66

Virgin will install the combined modem router wherever you want it. You should note that if there isnt a way to get the cable to the room you want externally they will run it inside along skirting board and door frames.

They will need to connect a pc or laptop to the modem during installation for the registration process and to check the connection stats. If all your pcs are in one room then get it installed in that room.

Virgin are not going to wire up your 3 pcs for you that is up to you. You can either connect them by ethernet or wireless.

You get the hub where you want it then you get a 1m ethernet cable, if you need longer you need to buy your own

advido

....had Virgin installed today....put the router just where i wanted it... very friendly....good knowledge......works fine.....

EDIT.... a few hours later --- more problems --seem my other post on here

(ADVID)

Last edited by a moderator:

deckardian

The best place for the NEW SUPER HUB IMHO is the BIN............

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom