Position of Subwoofers on Baffle Wall - Advise Needed.

8abel8

The LCR are JBL 3677's with L & R slightly toed inwards. The baffle wall will prob. be constructed :-
2:35 AT Screen 3.2m x 1.4m
Room 3.6m x 4.9m ( will be treated ).

Baffle Wall Construction :-

Ply ( 9mm min )
2.5mm Techsound
12.5mm Plasterboard ( Blue stuff )
20-30mm diffusion / absorption to resolve issues with sound bouncing back of AT screen.
Interesting, I plan almost exactly the same ( finished dimensions of the room will be a little larger but not by much) same JBL's too but I have 2 JBL's 4645c subs which are huge and I hope to accomodate them somehow behind the baffle wall. I currently have the 3677's in partial baffle wall and smaller subs in my current room but they work really well. It'll be interesting to see how this works out for you.

LittleNipper

Morning all... I've been sanding off my easy finish and actually started measuring positions for fabric wall coverings. As such, I'm hoping to be able to lug these two 4645c's into the room and I have no idea what to expect from them, but they are f**king massive. I did power one up a few months ago along side some arendals... Yep, totally different beasts ! They move air !

Where did you guys source these beasts from? I fancy a pair but can’t find any anywhere…is it just a case of right place, right time??

Many thanks

LittleNipper

Where did you guys source these beasts from? I fancy a pair but can’t find any anywhere…is it just a case of right place, right time??

Many thanks
Right place, right time. One from eBay. One from Gumtree. Just set up some searches. Then wait.... The last one I got also came with a beast of a JBL Sub as well, it's like doing a flipping work out moving it.

stevie0

I might have a go at these 4645c's too in the future after @Arcam_boy has trialled them :)

LittleNipper

If either @stevie0 or @Arcam_boy were closer you could borrow one and have a play. But even I think Brum and Sunderland is perhaps a little too far from me. Let's put it this way, it's not an item you can sneak past the wife. I've put two ( temp ) in my office and covered by a quilt... I think I've got away with it ;)

8abel8

Yep, right place, right time, got my 4645c's, 3677's and six 8340a's from a German seller on ebay over a year ago in one go at a great price. I've seen a few 4645's appesr on ebay from time to time...

LittleNipper

I will be selling some of my JBL 8340's and 8350's shortly as I have the Procalla's. I'm not sure about selling the JBL 8320's as I want to do some testing with them. I'll also find out if the 4645's are too much for my small movie room. See.... Things could happen !!!

AndreNewman

I just stumbled across this thread, glad to see those passive subs found a good home.

I was really interested in them as I'm struggling to fit anything bigger than a 12" driver in the room due to over enthusiastic screen sizing. The 1Ohm ness put me off, to do what I wanted and keep them in at least three's, pref fours per channel, I would have had to buy nearly all of them!

Following progress :cool:

LittleNipper

I just stumbled across this thread, glad to see those passive subs found a good home.

I was really interested in them as I'm struggling to fit anything bigger than a 12" driver in the room due to over enthusiastic screen sizing. The 1Ohm ness put me off, to do what I wanted and keep them in at least three's, pref fours per channel, I would have had to buy nearly all of them!

Following progress :cool:
I think initially I will wire up for as single speaker, thus a 4 Ohm speaker. Then I will play and get more creative, just need to run a 'spare' cable to the baffle wall....

AndreNewman

I think initially I will wire up for as single speaker, thus a 4 Ohm speaker. Then I will play and get more creative, just need to run a 'spare' cable to the baffle wall....
Did you look at the drivers? Are they really 1Ohm or are they dual voice coil wired as 1Ohm?

LittleNipper

Did you look at the drivers? Are they really 1Ohm or are they dual voice coil wired as 1Ohm?
I've not physically looked at them, but read up on the spec of them and they say 1Ohm. Not sure I would know a dual coil wired as 1Ohm if I saw it !

AndreNewman

I've not physically looked at them, but read up on the spec of them and they say 1Ohm. Not sure I would know a dual coil wired as 1Ohm if I saw it !
Easy to spot, there would be four connections instead of two on the driver.

Two 2 Ohm coils can be wired in parallel for 1 Ohm or series for 4 Ohm, I'm pretty sure they aren't dual coil, the manufacturer sells them as different impedances. If they are dual coil, I'm going to be really annoyed.... :facepalm:

LittleNipper

Easy to spot, there would be four connections instead of two on the driver.

Two 2 Ohm coils can be wired in parallel for 1 Ohm or series for 4 Ohm, I'm pretty sure they aren't dual coil, the manufacturer sells them as different impedances. If they are dual coil, I'm going to be really annoyed.... :facepalm:
Even I can determine that. I will have a look later, however, I'm 99% sure they are not. and only a single set of wires go to the cone itself. Or the coil.... You know what I mean :)

The latest video from AVForums

Prey + Bullet Train reviews, Heat 4K + Event Horizon 4K and all the latest movies and TV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom