1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Position of K4's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Lennyz, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

Just in the process of setting up my new lounge and I have gone from a smallish room to what I consider fairly big ( I know it won't be to a lot of people ) one.

I have K7 F/L/R and K4 tripole rears with a K9 sub.

I am wondering about the optimum position for my K4 rears. In my last house I had them about 12" above head height but level with the sitting position, whilst they sounded ok I was always thinking that they should be higher up (this was not really an option as I fitted speaker points in the walls at this position and I wanted to keep it all neat).

I am currently thinking of putting them about 1ft down from the ceiling (or less than 1ft below????) and slightly behind the sitting position so as to give a sound that is harder to localise.

The seating position is around 1m from the back of the room so maybe the rearward firing sound from the tripole will be just lost as it will fire into the curtain....or will it just diffuse and add to the effect?

can anyone help me out?

Room is 6.5m X 3.5m

Plasma is at one end and the seating at the other. It is an IDEAL room for a projector :devil: maybe later!!

Thanks

Oh, the other question is, I have two options for mounting the rears. I can use the flush to the wall bracket that comes with the k series or I have a pair of the MK swivel brackets that would allow me to tilt them and mess around with the angle of em. These would space the speakers away from the walls somewhat but may help with getting the sound right. what do y'all think?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,521
    Lennyz

Piers at HCE (See banner adds) does a natty run in 'virtual room analysis' - for a small(ish) fee he'll work with you and pinpoint the best positions for your loudspeakers and highlight any areas of the room that could do with a bit of acoustical treatment; takes the guess work out of the equation.

Best regards

Joe

3. HAEMATINICUS

HAEMATINICUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    If its any help Ive got my K4s approx 1ft from the ceiling approx 9ft apart (ie near corners) and angled in towards the edges of my screen (and slightly down).
    Ive tried loads of positions (hence loads of holes in the wall) but find this best for my room.(Yours will obviously be totally different)
    Fire up Saving Private Ryan...that will test your surround out.
    Also, take note of what Joe says, he is very experienced and gives excellent un-biased advice.
    If you are anything like me you will always wonder if youve "guessed" the right position.
    Regards
    Paul

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Mine are also a foot down from the ceiling but firing across the seating position. I can't help you with the "firing into the curtains" bit though

5. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks all,

I think I may try and temporarily position them at around 1ft from the ceiling for the weekend, I think I can put them there without drilling holes.

If I think that I can get an improvement, I may well phone HCE for some advice after that, so I know exactly where they should sound best Joe. Thanks.

I really should get my screen calibrated too :D I have been thinking about this but wanted to wait till I had all my gear set up in my new abode.

Cheers all

Lennyz